We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tides inn or Laguna Cliffs Inn?

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Illinois
reviews: 1
Tides inn or Laguna Cliffs Inn?

Staying 4 nights in Laguna Beach in July with adult daughter. Laguna Cliffs and The Tides are both within our price range and preferred location (are they across the street from each other?). Would appreciate advice on which is the best choice for beach access and basic accommodations. Thanks so much!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 87
1. Re: Tides inn or Laguna Cliffs Inn?

Welcome to the Forums VickiD1979,

I did a little research on these two properties for a trip I have not made yet a few years ago.

Yes, they are basically across the street from each other, the Tides Inn is a smaller family run type of motel that is on the East side of the road, so you would have to cross the street each time you wanted to visit the ocean. They would likely have more personable service and are better rated than the Laguna Cliffs. They have some rooms with a kitchenette. They also are a lower rise place to stay though, likely blocked from any real ocean views.

The Laguna Cliffs Inn was located on the West side of the road, and have rooms that would have some views of the ocean. They offer a limited type of breakfast with your coffee such as ......•Pastries •Muffins •Snack Bars •Fresh Fruit. They have a fridge and Microwave in the room

You can look at the Photos here on Trip Advisor as well as the reviews of both properties to help decide what you may like better.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32588-d119488-…

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32588-d504424-…

Edited: 8:38 pm, January 20, 2013
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 146
2. Re: Tides inn or Laguna Cliffs Inn?

If you don't mind crossing the road to the Ocean, the Tides gets better reviews y and has a very loyal following of guests.

Reviews of Laguna Cliffs often complain about paper thin walls.

Laguna Cliffs is not on the beach but a block up the hill.

Edited: 9:33 pm, January 20, 2013
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 352
3. Re: Tides inn or Laguna Cliffs Inn?

Flip a coin, not much of a difference.

Encinitas...
reviews: 113
4. Re: Tides inn or Laguna Cliffs Inn?

I have only stayed at the Tides Inn; from the upstairs walkway where there are chairs and a small table you can see the sun get up over mountains and later see sunset colors and the distant coast.

I prefer a smaller place. Some rooms are connected if that matters.

Crossing street is no problem; but you will be glad you have parking at the Inn as it is $2/ hour and time limited otherwise

Heisler Park is just one block west and very attractive any time of day with plenty of benches, picnic tables, an access to sand

Edited: 9:48 pm, January 26, 2013
Midwest
reviews: 61
5. Re: Tides inn or Laguna Cliffs Inn?

In my book,

The Laguna Cliffs Inn is the superior property, and if you get on the Pacifica Hotel email list, they will email you promotion codes for 25-50% of their hotels(which includes LCI)

Orlando
reviews: 6
6. Re: Tides inn or Laguna Cliffs Inn?

I've stayed at both and both are good but my preference is Laguna Cliffs because the rooms are recently renovated and is located on the beach side, however not beachfront.

Ottawa, Illinois
reviews: 1
7. Re: Tides inn or Laguna Cliffs Inn?

Thank you so much to everyone who responded. We have decided to stay at the Laguna Cliffs Inn. So excited about our trip to Laguna Beach! I will post a review when we return!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 352
8. Re: Tides inn or Laguna Cliffs Inn?

Do do what Missika suggested and get on the Pacifica Hotels email list. They have some of our favorite properties in the CA Central Coast and North Coast.

http://www.pacificahotels.com/

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 87
9. Re: Tides inn or Laguna Cliffs Inn?

You also might want to check this website, as someone suggested it to me on the Forums as having some good discounts for Laguna Beach area Hotels.

http://www.lagunabeach.com/hotels.html

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 146
10. Re: Tides inn or Laguna Cliffs Inn?

happytrip -- That's the proprietary website always touted by shrahgirl. The owner of the site is paid for every booking through the site. It is NOT the official Laguna Beach web site. Don't be misled. It's discounts are not even as good as those you can get through the hotels directly.

The official web site for the Laguna Beach Visitors' Bureau is http://www.lagunabeachinfo.com/