We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Mexican and/or Seafood Restaurants

Which Laguna Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tybee Island...
Best Mexican and/or Seafood Restaurants

I grew up in SC (in the dark ages) and haven't really been to Laguna since 98 :( I love Las Brisas and will have to make a stop there. We will only be there 2 days and nights...any suggestions on Mexican and/or Seafood restaurants that are in Laguna? We will be looking for lunch and dinner spots. I remember a restaurant that was right on the beach, tables were actually over the sand and water with glass porch-like enclosures. nice bar...food was good then...is it still there? Thanks so much, in advance.

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 23
1. Re: Best Mexican and/or Seafood Restaurants

Your description sounds a bit like the Beach House but it's hard to tell.

Frankly, IMO, Las Brisas is overpriced, underserved and puts out mediocre food and drinks. If the tourists would stop eating there they would close and maybe we'd get a good restaurant in there.

reviews: 708
2. Re: Best Mexican and/or Seafood Restaurants

We love Las Brisas, they do a really nice Stuffed Sole there and the views are beautiful! The Cliffs is a great seafood restaurant that has pretty views. Splashes @ the Surf Sand Resort has an outdoor patio with glass enclosures and looks out to the ocean. It's a very nice place to eat, also.

www.lagunabeach.com Have fun! :)

Tybee Island...
3. Re: Best Mexican and/or Seafood Restaurants

Thank you for your imput...I saw some negative reviews of The Beach House, but we have friends who live in Murrietta and they seem to really like it...what do you think?

Newport Beach, CA
4. Re: Best Mexican and/or Seafood Restaurants

I think that the Beach House is very much like Las Brisas in that their food is mediocre. However, IMO, they have a better location in that the restaurant is an old time movie actors former home and, if the weather is nice, you can sit on the balcony and, in some spots, the surf will be right under your feet.

I don't think that as many tourists go there as, say, Las Brisas because it's a little bit difficult to find unless you know where it is.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
5. Re: Best Mexican and/or Seafood Restaurants

The Beach House's quality has been up and down over the years. Lately it is down. I hope they are working on it. Your friends may be going to the sister Beach House in Encinitas (Cardiff by the Sea). It is very good.

I have to agree with remdog on Las Brisas. It's a happy hour hangout with high priced mediocre food and watered down drinks. It is now part of the same chain as El Torito, which is probably good in the sense that ET's cleanliness standards are higher than what Las Brisas was known for when it was independent. But it certainly isn't a destination for people who like really good food. BTW, At many restaurants, stuffed sole is a heated frozen entree. Not bad but not freshly prepared. I suspect that's the case with Las Brisas. If you are just trying to revisit an old hang-out, by all means, go back to Las Brisas. If you are looking for high quality reasonably priced food and good service, go elsewhere.

You might try La Sirena Grill for Mexican. http://www.lasirenagrill.com/start.php It was highly rated by the LA Times.

Coyote Grill is a small locals' favorite. http://www.coyotegrill.tv/index.php

I can't think of any really great seafood restaurants in Laguna Beach. I go to

Walt's Wharf in Sunset Beach for seafood.

Newport Beach, CA
6. Re: Best Mexican and/or Seafood Restaurants

BTW, for a full guide to Laguna Beach go to: www.lagunabeachinfo.com

Edited: 5:11 pm, September 09, 2011
Coto de Caza...
reviews: 19
7. Re: Best Mexican and/or Seafood Restaurants

For Mexican you could try Javier's, no longer in Laguna Beach but in Corona del Mar and another location in Irvine Spectrum easily reached from LB via hwy 133. Good salsa, margaritas, service and food in general.

Sapphire is very good but not specifically mex or seafood. In the location of the old Pottery Shack.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
8. Re: Best Mexican and/or Seafood Restaurants

I liked the food at Javier's Irvine Spectrum the one time I went there (not so convenient for me). I do remember it was noisy but most people don't mind that.

I'm still trying to get to Sapphire. I hope to before it closes. I can't tell you how many times I've made plans to stop at a restaurant that just happened to close the week before. :-(

reviews: 708
9. Re: Best Mexican and/or Seafood Restaurants

We had a very nice meal at Sapphire, Hush is also very good. :)

Midwest
reviews: 61
10. Re: Best Mexican and/or Seafood Restaurants

bonvoyage, you are an oldtimer and even stumped the experts, you should get a prize! we would have to give out too many prizes though

That restaurant you are thinking of where we dined over the sand is Splashes at the Surf and Sand. They remodeled splashes years ago, it no longer has that glass floor. They made it feel more homelike and warm. Its still good but more pricey now. I'd take the newer Studio at the Montage anyday of the week over splashes. I'd take the Las Brisas Sunday Brunch over Splashes to let you know that Las Brisas is just as good as it always was.

Javiers is good too, but order slowly if you go. They try to turn over the tables quickly there. CDM has some view, Spectrum has a patio area outside which is the ticket. It gets too loud inside.

btw: Dont let anyone talk you out of Las Brisas, its still great!

Edited: 7:10 pm, September 19, 2011