We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally coming to La Quinta

Which La Quinta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
28 posts
26 reviews
Finally coming to La Quinta

After an attempt to travel to La Quinta last year, I have successfully scheduled a trip for this year. My husband and I will be staying at the La Quinta resort from 2/29 through 3/4. We have a package that allows him one free round of golf (already scheduled on the Mountain Course). I will ride along for a fee.

Questions: We are flying into the Palm Springs Airport and renting a car. How far is the resort from the airport? Our flight leaves at 6:15 am Sunday morning, and I want to make sure we have ample time to get there.

Second, we plan on doing the Palm Springs tram. Any other activities anyone would suggest? We are not hikers, more golf, shopping type people.

Third, I have reservations at the Adobe Grill already. We get a $25/night resort credit (in addition to a waived resort fee). What other restaurants are recommended? We are not big eaters, and honestly prefer pub-style food to big dinners. Arnold Palmers pub menu looks good, and I think my husband would enjoy walking through the restaurant. Any comments?

Fourth, outside the golf course itself, are there local companies that rent golf clubs for less? Since he is only playing one round, it doesn't make sense to drag his along. The course quoted me $79.

Fifth, what is the weather like in early March, temperature wise? Warm enough to swim? Are the pools heated? Is it likely we will be in shorts during the day, and pants and sweaters at night?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/answers/recommendations!

7 replies to this topic
So. Cal
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Finally coming to La Quinta

You are going to LOVE La Quinta Resort & Spa! IMO, it's the most peaceful resort location there is in the area. The very near Santa Rosa mountains take my breath away. The weather should be spectacular!

For the most part we can't pull ourselves way from the resort when we go and eat mostly there or grab some snacks from Trader Joe's and stock the fridge.

We have walked over to El Ranchito and drove over to Las Casuelas for Mexican which is good. We liked Morgan's food at the resort but service was horrible. To be fair, it was during a holiday so I'd probably give them another shot. Twenty Six is good also.

On Thursday night you can attend the VillageFest in downtown Palm Springs for a local vibe and lots of fun!

For shopping you have the funky shops in downtown Palm Springs and more upscale is The Riverwalk and El Paseo. For some excellent deals you can head over to Desert Hills outlet center and spend hours there.

Most consider a day trip to Joshua Tree National Park a must do.

The Palms to Pine drive is very cool with its vast geography.

If you're into architecture you can go on a tour of modern homes or buy a map at the visitors center and see some of old Hollywood's homes.

Then there's museums, art galleries and Palm Springs Living Desert Museum etc...

There's plenty to do and not enough time!

Now I want to head there!

Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
14,462 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Finally coming to La Quinta

The drive from the airport to the resort is about 20 miles, so allow 30-40 minutes, depending on traffic.

The Living Desert is great. Try to get there early of the giraffe feeding.The baby giraffe is growing fast.

You don't necessarily need to hike, but you can walk thru parts of the indian canyons.Andreas Canyon is an easy walk. My favorite is Murray Canyon to the Seven Sisters waterfalls.

Be sure to stop for a date shake at Shields at 111 and Jefferson.They also have a nice little cafe open for breakfast and lunch, where you sit on the patio beneath the date palms.

Across the street from that is Jacalope Ranch. Really pretty restaurant,like dining in a park.May want to check it out for happy hour.

Some of the golf retailers like Lumpys or Pete Carlson may rent demo clubs.I'm not a golfer so you would need to check.

The weather in March is usually hovering around 75-80, so yes you can swim.The resorts will have heated pools.

It will cool off in the evenings, when the sun drops below the mountains.

Edited: 1:42 pm, January 04, 2012
Parksville, Canada
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Finally coming to La Quinta

Unfortunately there won't be an "Arts Under the Umbrellas" in Old Town La Quinta when you are there, but the farmers market on Saturday mornings is lovely. A great setting and lots to see.

8 posts
1 review
4. Re: Finally coming to La Quinta

For golf club rentals, check out Stand By Golf (www.standbygolf.com). They specialize in discounted tee times; however, they also have golf club rentals. Their rates are $30 per day, or $100 for a week.

Level Contributor
28 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Finally coming to La Quinta

Thank you so much. I will definitely check them out.

Thanks to all other replies as well!

Level Contributor
16 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Finally coming to La Quinta

Of all 5 of the courses in La Quinta, what would be recommended to play?

Level Contributor
28 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Finally coming to La Quinta

My husband has played the Mountain Course at the resort itself, and the Nicklaus Tournament course at PGA West. I rode along. Of the two, he preferred the Mountain Course. He found them both to be equally challenging. However, he felt the Mountain Course was much more visually appealing, since it hugs the mountains adjacent to the resort.

Reply to: Finally coming to La Quinta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted