We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Mesa Restaurant Rankings Badly Flawed

Which La Mesa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
72 posts
156 reviews
La Mesa Restaurant Rankings Badly Flawed

How could Mario's (one review) a converted litte house, and Panera Bread (NO reviews) a bakery chain, be ranked ahead of Tiramisu(six good reviews) and Casa de Pico (twelve good reviews)??

My wife and I travel regularly, and have used the TripAdvisor rankings in cities throughout the country. Recognizing how poor the TripAdvisor rankings are in our home city, we wonder whether the rankings in other cities are as bad. Perhaps a recent arrival from some other city could comment.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: La Mesa Restaurant Rankings Badly Flawed

I'm not from another city, I've lived in San Diego 27 years. I've eaten at Tiramisu once and I liked it a lot. Very good food there.

I ate maybe 10 times at Casa de Pico when it was in Old Town and it was fun for the atmosphere, but I've only eaten at it once since it moved to Grossmont Center and the atmosphere is totally lost now. Not worth going all the way out to La Mesa for.

When looking at reviews I put more stock in what people actually type in rather than just the rating they give. There are other ratings sites too, I would suggest reading them all in addition to this site. I think these restaurant reviews are most valuable for deciding which dishes to order and which dishes to avoid.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
72 posts
156 reviews
2. Re: La Mesa Restaurant Rankings Badly Flawed

We think Casa de Pico is better than you do, but that was not my point. I question whether a restaurant with one review - Mario's, should be ranked #1 instead of #20 or #30, and Panera, a bakery chain with no reviews should be #3 instead of a normal #40 or #50.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
15,164 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: La Mesa Restaurant Rankings Badly Flawed

TA could be arriving at their rankings through an assortment of possible methods - one that may not consider the number of reviews in a meaningful way, and might result in (say) a restaurant with 99 favorable reviews and one negative review a lower ranking than a restaurant that only has one positive review and no negative ones. In any case, however TA arrives at the rankings, it might be using a method that might make no sense to me, and make perfect sense to you, or vice versa. In other words, I wouldn't rely on the rankings at all - look at what people are saying, the credibility of what they're saying, look at the number of reviews, and most importantly, use the rankings as (at most) a guideline and ask your own specific questions on the appropriate TA forum for that locale.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
49,110 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: La Mesa Restaurant Rankings Badly Flawed

There are lots of discussions about both hotel and restaurant rankings all over this site. They are all INaccurate and noone completely understands how they are done.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: La Mesa Restaurant Rankings Badly Flawed

Maybe this site uses the same flawed ranking system that imDb uses that results in something like "Pulp Fiction" coming in as the fifth best film of all time...????...and "Goodfellas" and "Fight Club" in the "top 20," while "The Bicycle Thief" only ranked in #94 and "Tokyo Story" and "Au Hasard Balthazar" not even showing in the top 250...

As far as Casa de Pico, I was not really commenting on their food, rather than the fact that when they made the move the once-lovely Bazaar del Mundo in Old Town to Grossmont Center, they left behind the fun and festive atmosphere or discarded it somewhere along I-8.

6. Re: La Mesa Restaurant Rankings Badly Flawed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, February 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about La Mesa