We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Kellogg Park area - need recs

Which La Jolla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary
Staying in Kellogg Park area - need recs

We are staying in La Jolla Shores Kellogg Park area and are looking for a good grocery store and some restaurant recommendations. We are two couples and each have a toddler (both around 2 years old) both couples are also expecting so are not super mobile (well I'm not, at least.) We will each have a rental car but would like to stay close. We are all foodies and would love a grocery store with a nice selection, and restaurants that are casual enough for kids.

Any other recs of things we should do would be much appreciated! We only have SeaWorld and the SD Zoo on the itinerary so far.

San Diego...
reviews: 30
1. Re: Staying in Kellogg Park area - need recs

Since you will be in La Jolla, here is a thread with details of most of the things to see and do in La Jolla: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32578-i334-k54207…

Right there in the La Jolla Shores area is the Neighbor-Saver grocery store. Also in La Jolla is a Vons store and Jonathan's Market. Further to the east, but still west of Interstate 5 are a Ralphs' grocery store, a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods market. Just east of Interstate 5 is the expensive Bristol Farms market.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
2. Re: Staying in Kellogg Park area - need recs

Alas, the one Grocery Store near Kellogg Park closed a bit ago. (Not recently, but not that long ago).

So you will need to get into a car, if you head north to UCSD (University of California, San Diego) there is a large group of stores, including a Ralphs Supermarket in the La Jolla Village Square. Also a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ralphs-la-jolla

The other option is to head to Downtown La Jolla, and the VONS (a Safeway Company) and a high end Jonathan's Market.

yelp.com/biz/…20Store

The drive in traffic is about the same, so I would head to the UCSD area and the La Jolla Village Mall area.

Alas, you are in a mainly residential area that doesn't have much choices in places to eat and drink.

Lots of choices in the "Golden Triangle" area next to the La Jolla Village Square, including the Westfield University Towne Center Mall (UTC) and surrounding area.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 61
3. Re: Staying in Kellogg Park area - need recs

Darkbeer, Not sure the last time you were at LJ Shores??

There's a bunch of nice restaurants right there near the beach.

Lots of people like Piattis although I prefer Trattoria Romantica across the street.

There's also Barbarella where I like brunch and lunch and the La Jolla Cheese Shop for deli

Of course you can go farther afield for restaurants in the "village" area of La Jolla which is a 5min. drive or go east into the area mentioned above. .

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
4. Re: Staying in Kellogg Park area - need recs

Drove down La Jolla Shores Blvd and the former Grocery Store this weekend. No, I didn't turn to the right toward the beach and the few blocks of shops.

So you mentioned 4, RiffM, how many are really family friendly, seems more like "grown up" places.

Of course, there is the Starbucks at the corner of La Jolla Shores and Torrey Pines Road next to the gas station....

And I do miss the La Jolla Shores Market, spent many times there with my Dad that worked at the NMFC up the street.

But for many options, head to the Golden Triangle and its large variety, or Downtown La Jolla.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
5. Re: Staying in Kellogg Park area - need recs

All the restaurants I mentioned have outdoor seating and are not only for "grown ups".

The OP said they were foodies so I doubt that they are looking for Cocos or TGI Fridays(where we also eat sometimes) or Red Robin at the mall! Even The Shores Restaurant at the LJ Shores hotel is fine for families (although pricey) because they have tons of them staying there at the hotel.

Notice I did not suggest the Marine Room!

Edited: 6:50 pm, September 12, 2013
Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
6. Re: Staying in Kellogg Park area - need recs

Also note, I suggested the area where Trader Joe's and Whole Foods is located near Kellogg Park. (La Jolla Village Square and the area across the street), instead of Downtown La Jolla.

Lots of great restaurants in the area, and nearby in the Golden Triangle.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
7. Re: Staying in Kellogg Park area - need recs

I live in walking distance to LJ Village Square . Although we eat out in many of the local walking distance restaurants I would not recommend them to 2 "foodie" families.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
8. Re: Staying in Kellogg Park area - need recs

OK, so what do you recommend for "foodies" with kids in the Golden Triangle area, if you don't like the options near the La Jolla Village Square, so they can buy groceries and get a meal at the same time?

San Diego...
reviews: 30
9. Re: Staying in Kellogg Park area - need recs

If you can only go to one grocery store, I'd recommend going to the Ralphs' at 8657 Villa La Jolla Drive, and the Trader Joe's is only 3 stores down from it (they are separated only by a Starbucks and a Chipotle). The Ralphs' is huge - they even have a lounge you can sit down and read in or watch TV - and always very well-stocked with just about everything you can think of. Prices are reasonable if youi have the Ralphs' club card. I've never had to wait in a long line at checkout. Trader Joes' just 3 stores down, with lots of hard-to-find items and, in my opinion, the best selection of nuts and dried fruits, at prices lower than Sprouts or Whole Foods. These stores are about a 10-minute drive from La Jolla Shores.

Edited: 7:50 pm, September 12, 2013
Calgary
10. Re: Staying in Kellogg Park area - need recs

Wow, thank you everyone! My husband is irrationally interested in good grocery stores so he is wanting to go to all to most of the ones you all mentioned. We live in Calgary, Canada and don't have anything close to SoCal's crazy selection and (to us) good prices.

We actually own a restaurant here - a wine bar/Tapas place and are soon opening a modern style all day diner, and involved in a new taco place as well.

Ideas on best Diners or tacos in La Jolla?