We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birch Aquarium to La Jolla Cove, Children's Pool

Which La Jolla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado
reviews: 10
Birch Aquarium to La Jolla Cove, Children's Pool

Traveling to Oceanside in a couple of weeks and doing a day trip to La Jolla. We are going to Birch Aquarium and I'm wondering if there's a good public transport option to get from Birch to La Jolla Cove and the Children's Pool to avoid the parking issues. Anyone know of one? We will have our toddler with us so I need to consider that as well.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
1. Re: Birch Aquarium to La Jolla Cove, Children's Pool

Hi,,

I would not really worry about "the parking issue" at La Jolla Cove.

I'd just drive down there in your car. We live nearby and have never had trouble finding a parking spot.

Sometimes you just have to drive around on the local streets to find one but in the end we always get a place to park.

The #30 bus is a possibility but I'd still take the car and drive.

Here is the route map and timetable:

transit.511sd.com/Services/Route.aspx?r=30

Torrey Pines Rd. at La Jolla Shores Drive would be a bus stop you could use. Not sure if there is one that is closer to the aquarium.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
reviews: 57
2. Re: Birch Aquarium to La Jolla Cove, Children's Pool

Riff M is correct about just driving around to find street parking. Be aware of the time limit. Some areas are 1 hour and others 2 hours. There are also parking garages or lots where you pay. One is underground on Prospect St and Coast Blvd, very near the La Jolla Cove. I hope you have a stroller for your toddler.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
3. Re: Birch Aquarium to La Jolla Cove, Children's Pool

I want to add that leaving your car at the Birch Aquarium and catching a bus requires walking a hilly road. The closest bus stop is on La Jolla Shores Dr near Discovery Way. With a toddler it is better to take your car and take the chance on street parking or just pay the $5/day it costs to park in a parking lot in the Village.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
4. Re: Birch Aquarium to La Jolla Cove, Children's Pool

I didn't realize that the parking lot in the village was only $5!

The bus will end up costing more because it will be$5 round trip for each adult.

Definitely drive!!!

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
5. Re: Birch Aquarium to La Jolla Cove, Children's Pool

Riff M, I think it depends on the day and time of day, but they were advertising it for $5 the other day. When it is very busy, it may be higher.There are other parking lots within the Village that are sometimes $3 a day. Still, as you said, there is street parking if you just drive around. Usually farther south along Coast Blvd or LJ Blvd.

Colorado
reviews: 10
6. Re: Birch Aquarium to La Jolla Cove, Children's Pool

Thanks everyone for the great info. Appreciate it very much!

7. Re: Birch Aquarium to La Jolla Cove, Children's Pool

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 02, 2014