We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Practical to stay in La Jolla if you're sightseeing around...

Which La Jolla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis
reviews: 5
Practical to stay in La Jolla if you're sightseeing around...

Where's the best place to stay if you want to see lots of things around San Diego, but would also like a quiet beach to relax on some days? Folks seem to say that La Jolla Shores is the nicest beach to stay near. If our family with 3 daughters (16, 13, 9) finds a vacation rental near La Jolla so we can go to that beach easily, will all the sightseeing be too out of the way? Or do people not really go to the beach much (i.e., it's not Florida, right?) We're planning a summer trip.

San Francisco...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Practical to stay in La Jolla if you're sightseeing around...

La Jolla is probably the nicest area to stay in. The homes there are very expensive, if you can find a reasonable rental, you wont care how far you are from anything, and you can get around SD very easily with a car. The beaches there are not as crowded as in Mission or Pacific Beaches. Those are fun for kids their age.

Boston, MA
reviews: 13
2. Re: Practical to stay in La Jolla if you're sightseeing around...

We just got back from a stay in La Jolla with our 7 year old son. We went to the San Diego tourist destinations and had no problem whatsoever getting to them from La Jolla. It is a beautiful part of the city with a gorgeous cove area and a beach where harbor seals hang out. Unfortunately, we didn't get to go swimming because it was too cold, but the beaches there look very nice. People actually swim from the cove area to a pier some distance away. It was quite a sight. I really enjoyed our stay in La Jolla.

Belfast, Northern...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Practical to stay in La Jolla if you're sightseeing around...

When my partner and i stayed in La Jolla we stayed at the Sands of La Jolla. We stayed for 2 weeks and we loved it. The rooms decor is a little dated but who cares the place is really clean it has a pool and its cheap it was only about 85 dollars a nite. There is a bus stop outside if you want to head downtown or into La Jolla town which is so beautiful. Also close to the Sands of La Jolla is Bullys its a bar restuarant its child friendly and the food and staff are great!

Have a great time you will love La Jolla its just fab!

Oakland, California
reviews: 1
4. Re: Practical to stay in La Jolla if you're sightseeing around...

I was in La Jolla in April, for my old college roommate's wedding. I, along with my four girlfriends, stayed at the Redwood Hollow Cottages (website: www.redwood-hollow.lajolla.com). The owners are incredibly nice, there are several cottages to choose from, and the accomodations are great. The cottages are self-catering, and are well-equipped with dishes, utensils, pots, pans, and most essential, a coffee pot. We stayed in Ocean Ridge, and so we had a front yard and a little place to sit outside and visit with each other. The beach is just down the street, there are laundry facilities on-site, and there are restaurants all around, in case you don't want to cook at the cottage. I highly recommend this place, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Best,

Kelli

LA/OC
reviews: 2
5. Re: Practical to stay in La Jolla if you're sightseeing around...

I concur with all of the above...

I use to live in La Jolla when attending UCSD for some of my post-graduate work. It's very practical and so enjoyable to live there!

St. John
reviews: 7
6. Re: Practical to stay in La Jolla if you're sightseeing around...

Staying in La Jolla and sight-seeing San Diego is definitely practical. The beaches are great, too (yes, different than FL) but plan on beach time. Great for exploring, too - some are rocky with great tide pools to explore. The beaches in Pacific Beach/Mission Beach aren't rocky but fun for walking, finding some shells. It's pretty easy driving around San Diego/La Jolla - just grab some local maps/brochures when you get there. They are very informative (and have discounts for local attractions in them, too).