We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

half a day in la jolla cove in July

Which La Jolla hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe , New...
reviews: 8
half a day in la jolla cove in July

HI,

We are planning a half a day in La Jolla Cove sometime around July 19. We have 2 chldren 9 and 2 and grandparents with us.

What is he best planning in terms of not being in the fog, minimizing the crowds and observing the wild life?

Variants:

1. breakfast at the Brockton Villa Restaurant and then beach and exploring the coves

2. beach and exploring the coves and then lunch at Brockton Villa

3. lunch at Brockton Villa and then beach and exploring the coves

Also, I picked Brockton Villa because of its proximity to the cove. Is there anything as (or almost as) close that is good?

And, finally, I understand the free parking is tough there. Is there a paid parking close if we don't find a spot?

Many thanks,

KKYY

La Jolla, California
reviews: 18
1. Re: half a day in la jolla cove in July

Hi KKYY -

We usually don't have fog by mid July, but if we do, it will be in the morning. I suggest you have lunch at Brockton Villa (which overlooks the Cove) and then walk down to The Cove and see the sea lions and flocks of pelicans. Then continue south along the water to the The Children's Pool and the seals. If you want to walk a bit more, this link will be helpful: …elizabethhansen.net/2011/02/la-jolla-great-…

If you are persistent, you should be able to find free parking on the street. Just note when you leave your car whether you are in a one-hour or two-hour spot. Our meter minders take their jobs very seriously.

If you can't find free parking, there's a parking garage on Prospect Street right above Scripps Park.

I hope you enjoy your time in La Jolla.

Elizabeth Hansen

La Jolla, California

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
2. Re: half a day in la jolla cove in July

I agree that fog should not be an issue at that time.

I'd check the low tide time and try to be there within an hour on either side of that time to explore:

san-diego-beaches-and-adventures.com/…Jul

Santa Fe , New...
reviews: 8
3. Re: half a day in la jolla cove in July

Thank you both so much for the links and advice. They are very helpful.

4. Re: half a day in la jolla cove in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 am, October 03, 2012