We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit along Hakodate-Noboribetsu-Otaru

Which Noboribetsu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Places to visit along Hakodate-Noboribetsu-Otaru

Hi all,

I will be in Hokkaido mid-Oct and will be driving northwards from Hakodate to Sapporo, I only have 7 days for this trip and have planned 2 nights in Hakodate, 1 night in Noboribetsu, 1 night in Otaru and 2 nights in Sapporo.

On the way from Hakodate to Noboribetsu to Otaru, there are quite a number of places that I am hoping to visit however I am unsure it's going to be too packed.

1) Onuma National Park

2) Lake Toya

3) Kinoko Oukoku

4) Niseko Milk Kobo

5) Nikka Whisky Yoichi Distillery

6) Tanaka Sake Brewery

7) A fruit farm (have not researched much, probably Soubetu)

How should I line them up in terms of which to visit first and followed by which? Any suggestions on places are also most welcome!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
1. Re: Places to visit along Hakodate-Noboribetsu-Otaru

From Hakodate to Otaru, the order of the listed places should be Onuma Quasi National Park, Toya-ko, Soubetu Fruit Village, Noboribetsu, Niseko Milk Kobo/Takahashi Farm, Nikka Whisky, Tanaka Sake Brewery Kikko Gura.

As for Kinoko Oukoku there are 4 different locations. Depending on which one you want to go, it should be placed either before or after Niseko Milk Kobo/Takahashi Farm.

2. Re: Places to visit along Hakodate-Noboribetsu-Otaru

Many Thanks for your advice William. This is my 2nd time in Hokkaido (my 1st time was actually just back in Jul/Aug for Summer!) but 1st time visiting Kinoko Oukoku so I have no preference which of the 4 locations I should visit, probably if there is a main/flagship shop that would be the one I should visit. Do you know which of the 4 would that be, and do you have the map code for it?

We are travelling a group of 4 adults and 1 child, I have put down the full itinerary for our trip 15 – 21 Oct, have a few questions also does it look packed to you or any places that probably we can give it a miss?

Day 1: Arrive Hakodate late afternoon - Hakodate Bay area - Night in Hakodate

Day 2: Asaichi market - Car pick-up at Hakodate station - Goryokaku Park - Yunokawa Hot Spring area - Mt Hakodate - Drinks at Hakodate Beer/Bay Jeys - Night in Hakodate

Day 3: Onuma Quasi National Park - Mt Showa/Usu - Crater Walk - Bear Ranch - Soubetu Fruit Village - Jigokudani Hell Valley - Night in Noboribetsu (with a drive out after dinner for Lake Toya fireworks at 8.45pm)

Question => Given we are not staying over at a hotel in Lake Toya, do you have a recommendation on where would be a good spot to view the fireworks?

Day 4: Kinoko Oukoku - Niseko Milk Kobo - Nikka Whisky - Tanaka Sake Brewery - Otaru Canal - Night in Otaru

Day 5: Otaru (Otaru Music Box Hall, Kitaichi Glass Outlet, Kitakaro, Rokkatei, Ginno Kane) - either Sapporo Beer-En or Hokkaido Brewery - Mitsui Outlet - Night in Sapporo

Day 6: Curb Market - Hoheikyo Dam - Odori Park - Shiroi Kobito Park (Ishiya Factory, Toy Museum) - Car drop off at Sapporo station - Last min shopping at Sapporo station - Night in Sapporo

=> Do you have the mapcode for Hoheikyo Dam? I tried copying the address from the website onto Google Map but it doesn't seem to be able to calculate the distance/time.

Day 7: Back to Singapore

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
3. Re: Places to visit along Hakodate-Noboribetsu-Otaru

A well thought-out plan, a bit rushed but do-able. The only day in question is day 3 which looks super-packed!

If I may, consider skipping the bear park in Toya. We haven’t been there but from photos it is no better than the one in Noboribetsu which we regrettably went. We nearly burst into tears seeing those poor creatures begging for food down in the pit. Couldn’t help thinking what if those are humans down there! Admittedly it is difficult to see bears up close but they belong in the wild, IMO. A more natural surrounding for bear watching is Bear Mt. in central Hokkaido.

We haven’t been to Kinoko Oukoku but the following is said to be their main shop, and its mapcode is 759 106 424.

http://www.kinoko-oukoku.com/tobira.htm

For the firework in Toya-ko, it starts around the cruise pier and “moves” along the shore towards the right when facing out the lake. So odd as it seems you need to walk along with it to fully enjoy all the blast.

Mid Oct is a popular time for autumn foliage in Houheikyou Dam, so try to go early in the morning to avoid crowds. You can’t drive directly to the dam but need to park your car at a designated parking lot and take a shuttle or walk through a 2-part tunnel. Mapcode for the parking lot is 708 573 536.

Not sure whether you still have time but coming back from Houheikyou Dam to Sapporo, Jozankei is also worth a look for all those kappa boy statues. Autumn colour in Jozankei is also nice, especially around Futami-tsuribashi.

Edited: 12:23 pm, August 28, 2013
4. Re: Places to visit along Hakodate-Noboribetsu-Otaru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 am, December 02, 2014