We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gastrognome Review from an Idyllwild Local

Which Idyllwild hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Idyllwild...
reviews: 58
Gastrognome Review from an Idyllwild Local

This restaurant is arguably one of the best of three in the town of Idyllwild BUT it fails miserably on some of those items which create a first impression, namely the BREAD. The bread is provided by the Bread Basket in town which, in fact, produces some of the soggiest, doughiest, faux European breads I have ever encountered! The waiter, Dominic, promised he would inform the owner who was lurking around the restaurant and never acknowledged our complaint. Lunch prices are a bit hefty even for this market. Sandwiches are stingy with the meat or veggie item at $8-$10 a pop.

Idyllwild...
reviews: 33
1. Re: Gastrognome Review from an Idyllwild Local

Gotta agree with you! They need a new supplier of bread. The Bread Basket has gone downhill in recent months!

Columbia, Md
reviews: 1
2. Re: Gastrognome Review from an Idyllwild Local

I agree with you the price at this restaurant is high as well as the other prices on the hill. Lets face it the place is a tourest trap and they have no no real competition. I paid $18.00 for a burger without cheese w/FF, hot tea and a scotch and water plus a tip. R. Trout

California
reviews: 4
3. Re: Gastrognome Review from an Idyllwild Local

The Bread Basket.

Used to be one of my favorite restaurants back when Mr. Bayer was the proprietor- had better goods than Baker in the Forest once he got it up and running. Sorry to hear that.

Opus73
reviews: 6
4. Re: Gastrognome Review from an Idyllwild Local

Skip it.

My partner and I just returned from several days in Idyllwild as of last night. We ate at Gastrognome one evening upon the recommendation of some locals and weren't impressed.

I had their Roast Chicken Diablo, an unskinned half chicken cooked like a beef pot roast but with hot pepper flakes. It tasted exactly like they just tossed the chicken into a McCormick Bag-N-Season pot roast pouch. Also, the chicken really should have been skinless before cooking it in this way, as its drippings were very oily in the beef-flavored broth. The description in the menu said the chicken is cooked in wine. If so, it was so nominal an amount that it didn't help offset the astronomical sodium content from the seasoning bag. Food should not have to be oversalted and overspiced to have flavor.

The server was not attentive and pretty much disappeared after bringing the food. Glasses remained empty throughout our meal, a problem magnified by the high-sodium food.

Our meal the previous night at Cafe Aroma was superior on all levels. Even the Polenta Pie appetizer we had there was practically a gourmet meal, and the service was constant, even multiple people serving our table. We're coming back to Idyllwild with more friends next time and skipping Gastrognome altogether.

San Diego
5. Re: Gastrognome Review from an Idyllwild Local

Where would you recommend to stay for one nite? Im a hospice nurse from San Diego and am looking for a nite away with my husband. Thank you

6. Re: Gastrognome Review from an Idyllwild Local

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 pm, September 13, 2009