We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendation needed

Which Huntington Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City, MO
reviews: 30
Restaurant recommendation needed

We're traveling to Huntington Beach in April, staying at the Residence Inn. We're looking for a restaurant where we can celebrate our anniversary--not necessarily a fancy restaurant, but someplace that has some character and will give us the California experience. We will have our 3 year old with us, so that needs to be taken in to consideration. Any good suggestions?

SoCal
reviews: 7
11. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

When I have been to Roy's NB there has usually been at least 1 table with a child, so they go. I guess whether a 3 year old is appropriate in Roy's is really based on the general behavior and demeanor of the 3 year old. Are they capable of sitting for a meal for 1 to 2 hours? If you go early that will probably speed things up as well. The kids at Roy's have never disrupted my meal so presumably those parents know their kids are capable of a meal at a restaurant like Roy's. When I think of kids in my life, there is 1 that at the age of 3 would have been perfectly fine, the others, probably not.

Just yesterday I was at lunch in a restaurant and a child was repeatedly screaming and crying. This went on for about 20 minutes off and on. It was so loud you could not hear each other speaking. The parents did not take the child out side, just let the behavior continue and simply did not care if they ruined everyone else's lunch.

I agree Roy's does a very good job for special occasions.

Edited: 10:52 am, February 05, 2013
Laguna Beach, CA
reviews: 15
12. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

Duke's, Sandy's and Sparks sound like "not necessarily fancy" "someplace that has character" and "the California experience". I don't see going too far from Huntington, you can get all that in the Main Street area of HB.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
13. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

Newport Beach is certainly not "far from Huntington." Also, the OP isn't really staying in HB. They will be staying in Fountain Valley at Brookhurst and Slater next to the 405. So it will take as much time to get to the Main Street area of HB as it will to get to Newport Beach.

For a special dinner (with or without child), I would want great food and great service, so my choice would be Roy's first, then Californian at the Hyatt, Sparks third, Sandy's fourth and Dukes LAST (and then I only recommend lunch in the Barefoot Bar).

Kansas City, MO
reviews: 30
14. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

Thanks for all the suggestions and input! I look forward to trying several of these restaurants--either for our anniversary dinner or another dinner while we're in HB!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
15. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

travl-on -- For your other meals in the area, other restaurants that are family friendly but wonderful include Capone's on Beach Blvd. in Huntington Beach

http://www.caponescucina.com/ for really excellent Italian food (upscale meals, not a "red sauce and pasta" place), Walt's Wharf in Seal Beach for seafood

http://waltswharf.com/ (SB is also a great little town for strolling), Harbor House Cafe in Sunset Beach http://www.harborhousecafe.com/ and the Beachcomber at Crystal Cove thebeachcombercafe.com/_crystalcove/index.as…

Very close to your hotel is the Claim Jumper www.claimjumper.com at 18050 Brookhurst Street Fountain Valley which is known for its generous portions of well executed standards. They also have take-out service if you want to just call them and pick up a complete dinner to go after a busy day.

There are also many other decent chain type restaurants on Brookhurst St.

like Black Angus, Mimi's cafe, Islands, Chipotle, and many small independents serving mostly Mexican and Sushi. My favorites for Mexican are Super Mex (next to Capone's in HB) and Taco Mesa on 19th in Costa Mesa.

If there is a food type you particularly like, let us know and we can direct you there.

16. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 11, 2014