We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendation needed

Which Huntington Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City, MO
reviews: 30
Restaurant recommendation needed

We're traveling to Huntington Beach in April, staying at the Residence Inn. We're looking for a restaurant where we can celebrate our anniversary--not necessarily a fancy restaurant, but someplace that has some character and will give us the California experience. We will have our 3 year old with us, so that needs to be taken in to consideration. Any good suggestions?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
1. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

I assume you are staying at the Fountain Valley Residence Inn on Slater and Brookhurst.

I would choose Roy's Newport Beach for your special dinner. roysrestaurant.com/locations/ca/newport_beac…

They will give you a wonderful upscale dining experience while still treating your toddler like a special guest. Be sure to tell them it is your anniversary when you make the reservation and also that you have a toddler.

They will give you a souvenir menu and photo of your group and a special dessert. Your 3 year old will get his own chef's hat and appetizer plate and a special dessert.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
reviews: 23
2. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

If I was from Kansas and wanted a "California experience" I would choose a restaurant that was waterfront!

Since I don't personally like Dukes in HB, its hard for me to recommend it. However, with that said, it is always busy so they must be doing something right. It is beachfront with valet parking. Your toddler would be more than welcome there so I think you will be able to dine comfortably with your toddler and celebrate your anniversary with a California experience.

Maybe some Newport Beach advisers will chime in and recommend something beachfront in their city. I have my favorites but would rather defer to them.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 345
3. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

I love Roy's and like Duke's, with a 3 year old I would either go to Duke's or Sandy's Beach Grill in the same location for a very "California experience."

Anything I can think of in Newport is either too upscale for a 3 year old (21 Oceanfront) or too low key (Crab Cooker). Blue Water & Newport Landings are possibilities in Newport on the water, but for overall experience, I'd still take Duke's or Sandy's and Hula Pie.

http://www.dukeshuntington.com/

sandysbeachgrill.com/uploads/cache/Image/Gal…

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

scott -- The reason I recommend Roy's is my recent great experience. I've been to special occasion dinners at the Newport restaurant and was impressed. And recently I went to Roy's in Las Vegas with a relative and her 2 year old son. We didn't know she would be joining our group until the last minute and didn't tell them until we arrived. They were SO great with our little guy. I could hardly believe it. They moved us to a round table and immediately brought him a chef's hat, crayons and paper and a really neat kids appetizer platter. The waiters kept calling him by name and then for dessert he got his own special plate with his name written in chocolate around the edge. I expressed my appreciation to the manager and she indicated that families (the ohana) were very important to Roy's.

It was my birthday, so they made me feel special too. Given how wonderful the food and service was and how they made the it such a special evening for all of us, including the toddler, I don't hesitate to recommend them.

I thought of Dukes and Sandy's too but unfortunately, nothing is getting better at either place. When Sandy's came in, the servers initially gave a little spiel about how guests would receive the "same service quality they get at Dukes." They stopped that quickly because too many locals responded with "I'm sorry to hear that." Both Dukes and Sandy's are OK but not more than OK. Food is formula -- prepared by short order cooks.

Don't expect a window seat at Dukes without some major connections. They never seem to be available no matter when you make your reservation. Service is unremarkable at best.

I've found the best bet at Dukes is the Barefoot Bar for casual food on the street-side patio. Service is friendlier and the food actually better than in the dining room. And at Sandy's, head for the beach-side covered patio at lunch too, when you can watch the surfers and volleyball players at sand level.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
5. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

Dukes has a great Parmesan Crusted Halibut and the Hula Pie is yummy. It's kid friendly, beachfront, and offers a true California experience. If you go on Tuesday make sure to go early because it gets pretty packed due to the Downtown Family Fun night going on at Main Street.

For me....I'm a Mastro's FANatic! But it is not the proper place for a toddler.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

I thought of a couple of other Huntington Beach options for ocean view dining.

Sparks Woodfire Grill www.sparkwoodfiregrill.com/components.php… -- It is upstairs in the building across from the ocean and offers panoramic views.

Also -- You could go to the Californian restaurant at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach and request a table outside. …hyatt.com/hyatt/…

Both have good food and service. Californian is more upscale but still family friendly.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 345
7. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

To be frank my concerns about Roy's was not how Roy's would treat the 3 year old but how other patrons who had left their kids at home for a night away from the kids would feel.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
8. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

I agree with you Scott. I believe a very touristy Las Vegas experience is one thing but doing that in Newport Beach would be a whole different story.

However, I do llike your other suggestions Cats! I have not yet tried the Californian. Its on my to-do list.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
9. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

I've been to Newport Beach Roys several times. They are just as family friendly as the Las Vegas restaurants. In fact, the Las Vegas restaurants have more quiet dining rooms. The two locations there are not on the Strip. Like we were in Las Vegas, in Newport Beach, families with young children are usually seated in an area away from the small tables (with couples). The appetizer and crayons are a way of keeping small children under control as well as pleasing the family.

Edited: 2:21 am, February 05, 2013
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
10. Re: Restaurant recommendation needed

FYI 2dogs -- The Californian does validate your valet parking ticket and the host(ess) will call for your car before you leave the restaurant so it will be out front when you get there . (Just be sure to ask them to do that.)