We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need a car?

Which Huntington Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peak District...
reviews: 15
Do we need a car?

We are doing a two week California road trip by car. After this my husband flies to Vegas for a work conference and I have 4 nights at the Huntington Beach Hyatt regency with my children we the have 3 nights All of us before returning to the UK.

After a busy schedule we are hoping to just relax at HB. I was thinking husband would return the hire car to airport when he goes to LV but will I regret not having the car. No major days out planned but I'm wondering if we may get bored and perhaps should hold onto the car.

Any views on whether we need a car in HB for 7 days?

Many thanks

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
1. Re: Do we need a car?

There are times we spend a 3 day weekend at the Hyatt in HB, and never take our car out of valet parking. There is plenty to do within the hotel, spa and beach across the street, and a variety of restaurants to choose from.

However, if we were there 7 days, we'd be bored and want the car to be able to get to other sites and restaurants.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
2. Re: Do we need a car?

Keep the car. There is an awful lot to do in the Orange County area with kids and I think trying to use public transportation might drive you mad.

Even if you think you just want to relax, I'm sure the kids will want to get out and try some different restaurants. do some shopping, visit Balboa Island or Laguna Beach.

Edited: 11:34 am, January 13, 2013
Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
reviews: 23
3. Re: Do we need a car?

I completely agree with CAnative.

You dont say when you will be here but in the summertime, HB has many events scheduled at the beach and at Main Street. Tbere is plenty to do!

But after the 4th day I think you will start to get bored and it truly would be a shame not to venture out and take a drive down the Orange County coast and see other coastal cities such as Newport Beach, Corona del Mar and Laguna Beach especially when your here all the way from the UK.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
4. Re: Do we need a car?

Rental car deals are best by the week. You probably will be saving no rental costs by returning the car. I was at the Hyatt yesterday and noticed the valet parking rate sign. The parking charge at the Hyatt is now $29 per overnight period. But consider that a ride to Newport Beach or Laguna and back would certainly eat up any savings in the parking charges.

You can get to the other beach cities on the bus but and if you are comfortable with that idea just know that it runs once or twice and hour during the day, depending upon the time of day and day of the week.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
5. Re: Do we need a car?

Ha ha. Either I must be getting old or you don't have children Cats. A city bus ride with 4 kids is certainly not my idea of a fun vacation. Yep! I must be getting old.

Save money by parking in the HB City Beach Parking Lot across the street from the Hyatt for $15 a night instead of the Hyatt parking lot.(must get a special overnight dashboard pass for that and you cannot re-enter the lot from 10pm) or park up at Atlanta Street in the housing area and walk to the hotel.

Peak District...
6. Re: Do we need a car?

Thank you to all. We've decided to keep the car. Husband was going to have to drive San Diego to HB to drop us off then onto LAX to return car and catch flight. Now he can fly from SD and we can drive SD to HB. Then it means we can get out. You're all right we may want to chill out but a week will send us crazy. At least now we can try some different beaches, go to a mall, go to the aquarium. And if there's anything we decide we want to do in LA can do that when husband is back too.

Thanks for your advice. I'll investigate the parking options too mentioned thank you.

Peak District...
7. Re: Do we need a car?

Oh and thanks for the balboa island tip. I'd not read about that but have jus looked it up and sounds like a good trip out for the kids.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
8. Re: Do we need a car?

Dont forget to see the tidepools in either Corona del Mar, Crystal Cove or Laguna Beach. If you go to Laguna Beach, stop at the Pacific Marine Mammal Center on Laguna Canyon Road which is dedicated to the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of marine mammals stranded along the Orange County coastline. http://pacificmmc.org/contact.html

Peak District...
9. Re: Do we need a car?

Thank you ihave2dogs this place looks absolutely perfect for my animal mad boy. He's really intersted in helping save animals. This is straight onto our must do list.

LA
Destination Expert
for Kohala Coast, Island of Hawaii
reviews: 1
10. Re: Do we need a car?

You could also take the Catalina Flyer ferry to Catalina Island for the day. There is a very good tour of the island and you can usually see the buffalo on the island from the tour. You also rent a golf cart to get around the town of Avalon.