We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

Which Huntington Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 8
Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

We start our trip in Santa Monica for 3 nights!!! I think this will be the type of place my kids love....shopping, shopping, shopping!!!! Really I think they'll just love the whole vibe of the place... We then drive to SF and come back to Anaheim and Downtown for the JB concert. We then have 4 nights that I want to spend relaxing, shopping, dining etc... My husband would like to walk out the front door of the hotel and be at a cafe etc....Looking at the strip from Huntington to Newport!!! At first l thought Newport, but l am not that impressed with the hotels there!!! Which is the area most similar to Santa Monica and is accessible to good shopping and cafes? Any information would be greatly appreciated

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

Have you looked at the Huntington Beach choices, three nice places are the Hyatt Resort, the Hilton Resort, and the Shorebreak Hotel, all right next to the ocean and near the Huntington Beach Pier area, that has lots of shops and restaurants.

www.surfcityusa.com

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 115
2. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

If you stay in Huntington Beach, the Fashion Island shopping center is just a few miles South and inland is South Coast Plaza which is a huge mall that rivals Rodeo drive in terms of designer shops. There is a night and day difference between Anaheim which is very convenient to go to Disneyland and the Beach Cities.

San Francisco...
reviews: 120
3. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

If your kids like water slides at resorts and bonfires at the beach, huntington beach is good for that. Newport beach has the famous fashion center shopping mall with hotels like Marriott close to that if you are really into serious shopping. You can take a look at shops in the different malls to decide. My vote is huntington beach just for the ability to walk to the beach anytime. I can always drive to the fashion island mall.

Edited: 10:29 am, January 11, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

Would a hotel with a pool be needed at the end of June? Isn't it like 20 degrees around that time?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 115
5. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

We think US dollars and dates in Month/day/Year and drive on the Correct side of the road and also think in degrees F v/s Degrees C so 20 degrees would be below freezing for us but averages for that part of the year along the coast are around 68 or so degrees F and it gets warmer as the Summer progresses but the coast is never hot compared to inland CA -- but yes that is a good time to swim in pools and to surf and swim

Edited: 11:19 am, January 11, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
6. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

Haha, whether you drive on the right or wrong side of the road is debatable....!!!!

68= 20 degrees and in Australua that is too cold for swimming!!!! See we do differ in many ways!!!!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
7. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

Actually, the pools at the hotels are kept heated and the temperature in June often goes much higher than 68. That's an average and there are days of

"June gloom" but there are usually also days when the afternoon temperatures are in the high 70s.

SoCal
8. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

I would say many people will be at the pool in June. The water is heated and mid day it is often warm.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 345
9. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

If you want shopping, I would look back at Newport Beach and look at The Island Hotel. it was formerly The Four Seasons and the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa.

Both are in Newport Center, home of the upscale Fashion Island mall and both have spas in them.

http://goo.gl/maps/wDfVL

http://www.islandhotel.com/

marriott.com/hotels/…

People might or might not lounge by the pool, but a lot of people will swim in the pools and late June will be different from early June.

Newport Beach, CA
reviews: 23
10. Re: Huntington Beach v Santa Monica for teens??????

Actually, the shopping selection is better in Newport than Santa Monica.

Fashion Island, 200 plus stores anchored by Nieman Marcus, Bloomingdales, Macy, and Nordstrom. With about 35 restaurants.

www.shopfashionisland.com

Shopping on Balboa Island and on PCH in Carona Del Mar. Also, don't forget the botiques in Laguna Beach, about 5 miles south.

www.balboa-island.net