We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a great family beach resort

Which Huntington Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 32
looking for a great family beach resort

We are travelling to this area in spring (May) and looking for a great beach resort to stay at for a couple nights in this area. We will have kids age 6 and 8 and would like a great pool area, near the beach, dining choices.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
11. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

Thanks Dogs. I'm going to have to go search out Sullivan's. Since I live on the other side of town, I don't get down there often.

I forgot about those fire pits at the Hyatt property. Sorry. I guess I have seen them lit a couple of times but never paid much attention. I think the last time I saw one lit, there were adults with drinks around it.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
reviews: 23
12. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

There is nothing like a true HB fire pit experience! Who doesn't enjoy the smell of wood burning in a fire pit, listening to music, playing a guitar, throwing a frisbee, telling ghost stories and making smores with coat hangers while hoping the marshmallow doesn't burn to charcoal or drop in the sand..... Its the only way to really feel like a HB local!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
13. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

Dogs is describing the BEACH fire pit experience. The firepits in the concrete patios at the Hyatt are just NOT the same (which is why I blocked them from my memory).

Long Beach...
reviews: 2
14. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

Another choice maybe to stay near by but not in Huntington Beach. If I can suggest checking out staying in LONG BEACH. This is a hidden gem (total biased as I am from there). It is about 20 min west of Huntington Beach, but much cheaper.

DownTown Long Beach offers a lot of options...including the aquarium of the pacific which is great for the kids.

Check it out. there is a Westin and Hilton right on Ocean Blvd...

San Francisco...
reviews: 107
15. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

We love the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach! Ranks up there with the Shedd in Chicago and the Monterey Bay Aquairum.

The area has a lot of restaurants. The hotels by the aquarium are more convention focused so they have pools but not sure if they have water slides. The actual beach is east of the aquarium/convention hotels so it's a short walk to the beach unless you get a motel right across from Long Beach.

By the way LSCats, you won't like what the Hyatt front desk said to me when I asked about the difference between the fire rings on the beach and the fire pits on the hotel. There was a short pause and he said: "the fire pit in the hotel is .. cleaner".

Edited: 3:15 pm, September 27, 2012
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
16. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

Long Beach has no "great beach resorts" and actually no great BEACH.

Because of the breakwater constructed for shipping purposes, there is no surf and no tidal exchange so the ocean water is typically rated "F" for cleanliness.

DO NOT allow your children to swim there.

Yes, go to Long Beach for the Aquarium of the Pacific. There is also the Queen Mary (if that interests you). But don't expect a beach resort in Long Beach.

And Al -- Hyatt's response is really funny! Fire pit on the concrete hotel patio -- How sad! A beach firepit is one on the SAND next to the ocean. The smores don't even taste the same without the salt air and breeze down on the sand.

17. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, December 14, 2013