We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a great family beach resort

Which Huntington Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
reviews: 18
looking for a great family beach resort

We are travelling to this area in spring (May) and looking for a great beach resort to stay at for a couple nights in this area. We will have kids age 6 and 8 and would like a great pool area, near the beach, dining choices.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

There are two main ones, the Hilton and the Hyatt. But I would choose the Hyatt, due to its "Slyders" water playground and three water slides.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32513-d252509-…

Right next to the Beach, dining on property, or a short walk to the Main Street area near the Huntington Beach Pier has a lot of different dining choices, and at the end of the pier, Ruby's Diner, which is a great fun place for adults and kids.

www.surfcityusa.com

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 140
2. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

I agree with Darkbeer. Hyatt would probably be the top choice, for it's pools.

Sandy's Beach Grill below Dukes at the Pier is good and puts you in great view position to watch surfing and beach volleyball. Dukes is a tourist favorite but don't expect anything extraordinary.

There are several cafes on Main Street. Try the Sugar Shack for Breakfast, The Longboard, I-Hop is there if you are a fan of that chain. My choice for Italian is Capone's about a mile north of PCH on Beach Blvd. in Newland Center

caponescucina.com

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
3. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

Do try some Mexican food while you are here too. Avila's El Ranchito is on Main Street, Super Mex is in Newland Center on Beach Blvd. and Las Barcas is on Beach Blvd, not far from the Hyatt.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
reviews: 23
4. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

Dining with young children always puts a spin on things. Keeping you local to downtown Main Street and keeping the kiddos in mind, my suggestions are Ruby's Diner or Johnny Rockets for burgers/ chicken fingers/shakes. BJ's Restaurant for pizza (make sure to say no tomatoes on the pizza to be kid friendly), Cuccina Alessa for Italian food, Sandy's Beach Grill and Sparks Woodfire Grill for nice dinner options (I think Dukes is a tourist trap). Breakfast or lunch I suggest, Sugar Shack, Ihop, Kokomos Surfside Grill and Ruby's. By May, Bruxie should be be open in the Strand next to the Shorebreak Hotel. If your kids want donuts, there is a donut shop on the other side of the Shorebreak Hotel and of course there is a Starbucks on Main Street. If you want to venture up Beach Blvd a bit from the Hyatt, there is my favorite Mexican place called, Las Barcas (my kids would have never eaten Mexican food when little- lol), Mamas on 39 which has the best Mac n Cheese anywhere. And if your wanting Chinese, Sullivan's is also very good! And thinking about it, there is a new Walmart grocery store in the same center for quick kid snacks. Starbucks will be open by then in the same center. Lastly, for the best kid souvenirs, check out Dwight's concession next to Sandy's. They have really cool shells at great prices.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
5. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

You have weird kids dogs! ;-) What kid doesn't like tacos?

I'm trying to figure out where there is a Chinese restaurant named "Sullivan's."

And more -- would I trust a Chinese restaurant with that name? Kind of like an Irish Pub named Wong's.

San Francisco...
reviews: 90
6. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

Hyatt -- besides the slides and the many pools. They also have fire pits for smores. You can bring your own ingredients or purchase a smores kit at the hotel.

P.S. I'm a Hyatt shareholder but have been to the Huntington Beach location several times and loved it. Looking back at my 2003 review -- I noticed I paid $125 but I'm afraid it has tripled in price since then....

Edited: 2:13 pm, September 26, 2012
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
7. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

AL -- The Hyatt does not "have firepits for smores." The firepits are on the public beach and the Hyatt doesn't have any more right to them than anyone else. They do send employees out to snag them for guests though.

San Francisco...
reviews: 90
8. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

Hi LSCats:

You are right about the fire pits at the public beach where anyone can start a bonfire. Those are great.

However, the last time I was there, I remember they do have a small fire pit by the restaurant. The issue is that it's not automatically lighted every night. We had to ask them to light the fire pit for us and we were about to do smores on the property itself rather than walk across the bridge to the beach.

It appears that they still have that small fire pit based on www.hyattregencyhuntingtonbeach.com/pool

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
reviews: 23
9. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

Cats- ....Sullivan's is the phonetic sound of the owners Asian name. She is the nicest women you will ever meet. I wouldn't be surprised if she made you a free Asian pancake, just for stopping by to give them a try. It is a few doors down from Las Barcas.

The Hyatt has their own fire pits on their premises. One is found at Mankota's Grill and there are two more next to the Slyders Pool. They do smores every evening with the kids. Its part of their summer fun program.

Canada
reviews: 18
10. Re: looking for a great family beach resort

Thanks for all the great replies. I have looked @ the Hilton and Hyatt and they both look good. The pool areas and easy beach access @ Hyatt look great.

I have seen some suggestions for the Newport area for families, but I don't see any great hotels unless I am missing them. I love Mexican and we have adventurous young diners. Can't wait to try a few of those restaurants!