We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What else can I do...?

Which Huntington Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
reviews: 3
What else can I do...?

Hey all

Heading to the beach on Monday with 3 family members who like to sit on the beach for most of the day,that's not for me as I get bored. What else is there close by that I could do? I've not been to this beach or area before so don't know if it's the same as all the others or what.

Thanks

Dublin, California
reviews: 30
1. Re: What else can I do...?

Are you driving there? Drop them off and you can drive to some other places.

Wales
2. Re: What else can I do...?

Yeah I'm driving there so have a car if there's not much else to do there other than sit on the beach/go in the sea.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Destination Expert
for Anaheim, St. George
reviews: 83
3. Re: What else can I do...?

Theres a nice pier you can walk out on and fish or watch the surfers theres usually lots of those by the pier. There also some shopping, and restaurants including Rubys diner at the end of the Pier. Sometimes there are also large Carriers that go by that area.

San Francisco...
reviews: 107
4. Re: What else can I do...?

Are you a spa type of person? If so -- nearby are several resort hotels with spas where you can get a massage. You can also rent bicycles from them and bike if you like something more active and check back with your family frequently while you're on your bike. And there's always the Pier.

Take a surfing lesson. There's plenty of surf schools in the area. Your family will have a blast sitting on the beach watching you try.

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
5. Re: What else can I do...?

>>>What else is there close by that I could do? <<<

Long Beach is pretty close. You could tour the historic Queen Mary ocean liner or visit the Aquarium of the Pacific.

http://www.queenmary.com/?s_kwcid=TC|1027322|queen%20mary%20long%20beach||S|p|9672110246&gclid=CNOty_atp7ICFcZxQgodKGkAnQ

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/

You could drive to Newport Beach, down the pennisula to Balboa Pier Beach, and take a harbor cruise. (There is also a nice pier there with a restaurant at the end.)

http://funzoneboats.com/

If you are not already planning to go to Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, you could go there and/or visit their "Market Place" (free to enter) and have lunch at the famous chicken dinner restaurant there.

http://www.knotts.com/plan-a-visit

knotts.com/things-to-do/california-marketpla…

knotts.com/california-marketplace/mrs-knott-…

If you don't mind driving further south, and like history, you could visit the Mission San Juan Capistrano.

http://www.missionsjc.com/

Redlands, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
6. Re: What else can I do...?

Here is a better link for the Queen Mary:

http://www.queenmary.com/

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
7. Re: What else can I do...?

No need to lie on the beach and one beach is not like another. Huntington Beach offers almost 9 miles of unobstructed white sand beaches adjacent to wetlands and a vibrant Downtown shopping and restaurant district.

Do you enjoy wildlife viewing? The Bolsa Chica Wetlands across from Bolsa Chica State Beach is the home of several endangered and rare bird species and there is 2 mile loop walking trail. Huntington Beach Wetlands, further south also is great for bird watching and walking.

At Huntington City Beach, you can rent a beach cruiser bike, bike carriage, or roller skates, fly a kite (literally), try your hand at volleyball, have a cook-out at a beach fire pit, try surfing, and make friends on a walk on the pier. You could stop at the Huntington Beach Surf Museum, two blocks from the Pier, where surfing's history is on view. At the end of the Huntington Beach Pier, you'll find Ruby's Diner, a treat for the whole family.

Wales
8. Re: What else can I do...?

Thanks for all the suggestions...think I'll drop them off and see what takes my fancy!!

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
reviews: 23
9. Re: What else can I do...?

Cats, as always, gave some great local suggestions.

Visit Main Street! For the guys, there are sports bars, eateries and plenty of street front sitting for "people watching". For the gals, there are high/low end clothing shops. The Surf Museum is worth a stop no matter your gender.

Check out Dog Beach. If you dont have something like that at home, that is always a fun place to visit, even without a dog. www.dogbeach.org

The concessions, where you would rent the bikes and get surf lessons, are now on fall schedule. All are closed weekdays excepts Jacks at Huntington Street (across the Hilton) and Zacks, at the pier. The Kite Store is on the pier and the "large carriers" spoken about are called Blue Water Pedi Cabs www.bluewaterpedicabs.com . I'm not sure they are opererating weekdays now so you might want to contact them if interested. There is no charge for the ride as they work for tips only.

Have Fun!

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 143
10. Re: What else can I do...?

Actually, I think the "large carriers" that happytrip mentioned are the huge cargo ships that you see sailing by or anchored offshore on their way into Long Beach Harbor.

I was thinking of the bike carriages that I've seen people rent, that look like an over-sized children's wagon pulled by a bicycle.

I completely forgot about the pedi-cabs. Thanks for mentioning them Dogs. I didn't know they just worked for tips.

Edited: 1:47 pm, September 09, 2012