We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip

Which Huntington Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Limerick, Ireland
reviews: 100
Road trip

My husband and I are hoping to do a trip from Phoenix to Santa Barbara and down to San Diego over a 6 day period in September. We are limited in our time and need to be in Huntington Beach on the Sat night to meet friends. Here is our suggested itinerary, I'd appreciate any ideas or opinions please.

Tues afternoon: Phoenix to Palm Springs, overnight in Palm Springs.

Wed morning: Palm Springs to Ventura. We are thinking of staying in Ventura for two nighs and using it as a base to explore Santa Barbara and Malibu/Santa Monica.Hotels seem to be much more reasonably priced there.

Fri morning: Drive to Santa Monica and meet the 1 day in LA tour to see the highlights of LA. My husband has been to LA before and I just want to see the usual few touristy bits and get some photos. Is it expensive to park in Santa Monica for the day?

Fri evening: drive to Manhattan Beach and overnight there.

Sat morning: Manhattan Beach to Huntington Beach, overnight in Huntington Beach.

Sunday: Huntington Beach to San Diego along the coast.

Sunday/Monday night: San Diego. We have visited San Diego before and have been to the Zoo, Coronado and Sea World. This time we are thinking of Whale Watching there and exploring La Jolla and Misson Beach.

Is this a realistic itinerary? Any suggestions for things to do in Manhattan Beach/Huntington Beach?

All help appreciated! Thank you!

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
reviews: 23
1. Re: Road trip

I am currently at Pacific Beach (Mission Bay area) in San Diego. Huntington City Beach is a far superior beach when comparing the two. Things I don't like here:Tons of seaweed on the beach, lots of sand sharks, lots of rude college age people everywhere, no beach curfew (I am staying on the beach), junky shops along the beachfront. I dont mean to be inflammatory with this post, just saying it how I see it in comparison to HB. But-I am staying at someplace very unique and its the reason I come back every year. Crystal Pier Cottages right on the pier!

Last year we did a La Jolla side- trip. Because of time constraints, we did not go kyaking but instead did a walk down into the Caves via the Cave Store. Then walked around the whole beach area. Great photo opportunities abound there.

HB residents will get a kick out of this. Last night they had a DUI checkpoint right on Garnet. Its equivalently of putting a DUI checkpoint in the middle of Main Street. I guess that is what they do in "college towns". Maybe we can learn a thing or two from them.

You have a busy week planned with your trip. You will get to see much but how much will you get to enjoy? I like the drive from Santa Barbara down to Huntington Beach (well, really Laguna Beach) than the drive from Laguna down to San Diego. But that is just me. So, with that in mind, I would skip San Diego. I'm sure you will get many different points of views but overall, Have a Fun, Safe trip.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
2. Re: Road trip

We stay a couple times of year in the Pacific Beach area, north of the pier at the Pacific Terrace Hotel. We love the location right across from the beach, and have never had problems with college kids south of Garnet.

http://www.pacificterrace.com/

Limerick, Ireland
3. Re: Road trip

Thank you ihave2dogs we do have a packed week but I'm looking forward to doing as much as possible, there will be plenty of time to rest when we get home. It's good to get different opinions on the areas and I'm glad we will be staying in Huntington beach rather than mission beach from what you have said. Any suggestions as to reasonably priced hotels in HB?

I'll check out the pacific terrace hotel for another time as it looks lovely thank you CAnative!

Edited: 5:43 pm, August 18, 2012
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
4. Re: Road trip

What do you consider "reasonably priced" pinkydinkyire?

Limerick, Ireland
5. Re: Road trip

We saw the Best Western Regency was 90 dollars for the night so booked it yesterday evening. I don't think we will get more reasonable than that in HB :-) other hotels seemed to be around 250-300 per night for the time we wanted to book which was a bit high.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
6. Re: Road trip

The BW Regency is priced low for a reason. It is not at the beach. It is about 2 miles north of the ocean on a busy street and is surrounded by car dealerships and service businesses.

That said, it is a decent accommodation -- clean and serviceable and convenient for getting to the beach and to Orange County tourist destinations by car.

Limerick, Ireland
7. Re: Road trip

We are only staying one night and will be meeting friends for dinner so the BW will be fine for sleeping and a shower. Thanks for all your help!

New York
reviews: 7
8. Re: Road trip

the area of Huntington Beach is beautiful and within minutes you have Newport Beach, which I suggest you go to and ferry to Balboa Island which is different than anything else you'll see. If you have time, you should drive then to Laguna Beach and stroll the town; if you don't have time for this at least go and enjoy the coastal drive...amazing scenery. I agree you should skip San Diego which is fantasic but save for another trip, too much to do

9. Re: Road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 22, 2013