We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Huntington vs Newport Beach for kids?

Which Huntington Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
reviews: 1
Huntington vs Newport Beach for kids?

We're planning a trip to CA next summer and would like a week on the beach relaxing and a week in Anaheim doing Disney/Knotts etc. Our girls are 5 & 7. I'm wondering which beach would be more suitable for them. They love to play in the water and sand but also would enjoy looking around a pier/boardwalk/village.

Thank you!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 2,442
1. Re: Huntington vs Newport Beach for kids?

Huntington Beach! This is the perfect place for a family beach vacation. Nice sandy beaches ocean. Fun to walk out on the pier and walk to the end and have lunch at Ruby's. The downtown area has restaurants etc. It sounds like you have a car so its quick drive to Newport Beach (right next door) if you want to explore there. Fashion Island is a good place for shopping and also has a carousel for the kids. Also Huntington Beach is closes to Beach Blvd. If you drive up the road (note - it takes a bit due to traffic lights) its on the same road as Knotts Berry Farm Mideival Times Pirates. Its also a good location to drive to Laguna and Long Beach.

Newport Beach is not that nice of beach for familes. Huntington Beach is quite nice. We really like staying at the Huntington Beach Hilton - nice rooms with nice views of the ocean; fun swimming pool area etc. It can be a bit pricey however in the summer - so knowing your price range for lodging is helpful. Its about a 20 minute walk to downtown Huntington Beach - some people will say its not by anything but we found the walk fine. The beach is right across the street....and so staying in Huntington Beach is great since its so easy to wash up after a fun day at the beach.

In terms of Disneyland - it will take about 40 minutes to get there from Huntington Beach (or Newport). Just be aware of that as some people think it will be a lot faster. Its still a great place to stay.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
2. Re: Huntington vs Newport Beach for kids?

Huntington Beach, for all the reasons above. Great place for a family. We've stayed at the Hyatt Resort there. Nice pool, movie at night in the pool, a bridge across the street to the ocean.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
reviews: 23
3. Re: Huntington vs Newport Beach for kids?

I am partial as I live here..but Huntington Beach is VERY family oriented. If you stay at the Hyatt Regency (my favorite) there is a bridge to walk over Pacific Coast Highway. This Hotel (also the Waterfront Hilton) has its own snack bar and concierge also has umbrella and lounge chair service. The pool is really nice too. From where the Hyatt is towards the pier is very family oriented to about lifeguard tower 5. Plant yourself by a lifeguard for extra safety.

I have family that comes to visit and they have 3 kids under the age of 10 and always choose this hotel because they love it and it is very kid friendly. The hotel even has a kids camp and an ice cream store!

The pier has Ruby's at the end of it which the kids will love.

visit www.surfcity.com for events etc.

I have photos of the beach/bridge/hotel and pier in my profile.

Cowabunga!

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
reviews: 23
4. Re: Huntington vs Newport Beach for kids?

As for Disneyland..it does take about 30 minutes. It is not far but you take city streets. It's the stop lights that cause the delay. On a good day getting many green lights, I can make it in 24 minutes...

A Movie theater is also by the pier, Farmers Market on Main Street and Tuesdays are family nights in which Main Street is closed to cars.

5. Re: Huntington vs Newport Beach for kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, September 09, 2009