We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hermosa vs. Manhattan

Which Hermosa Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Highlands Ranch...
reviews: 1
Hermosa vs. Manhattan

We are a family of 6 with kids (9, 12, almost 15, 17). We want a family friendly beach with places to walk to. Condo on or very close to the beach. Things to do. We are a laid back Colorado family. Would Hermosa or Manhattan beach be better?

Thanks!

Edited: 11:58 am, June 03, 2012
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 341
1. Re: Hermosa vs. Manhattan

Manhattan Beach has a bit more in the way of shops and restaurants. As for the beaches and surf, you can't really tell where MB ends and HB begins.

pasadena, ca
reviews: 22
2. Re: Hermosa vs. Manhattan

They are both great, adjacent to each other, and similar. I'd choose by the specific condo. As Scott says, MB has a slightly larger commercial strip, but not appreciably different as far as I know...I like them both a lot.

In terms of which is more family oriented (fewer clubs, bars, quieter), perhaps CANative will offer advice, as she lives in MB. I don't know those nuances.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
3. Re: Hermosa vs. Manhattan

Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo are all on the same long stretch of white sand beach. MB is closer to the freeway system if you were planning on driving to sights in LA, or to Disneyland which is 45 min away.

Lots more choices for a family, in terms of shops, family restaurants, parks. Check out vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owners)

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…manhattan-beach

Don't know your budget, but here is an example of a home on a walk street. These streets are up several blocks from the beach and have no car traffic. Usually a patio in the front, with bbq, lounge chairs, little gardens and people very friendly. Just walk down the street to the beach.

It's nice to be located near the Pier on either side, which is about 12th Street. Easy stroll to "town" to the outside cafes.

http://www.vrbo.com/130494

You can rent bikes in either MB or HB and ride any portion of the 22 mile route along the sand.

MB video:

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

HB video, lots of young college crowd:

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

pasadena, ca
4. Re: Hermosa vs. Manhattan

Reason I asked, CAnative, is that I was thinking of a conversation I had with my 20-something son a few years ago, regarding our dream (fantasy, more likely) of retiring close to the beach. We were debating between Santa Barbara, and Manhattan/Hermosa Beach, which is our favorite LA beach area. Our son mentioned that one of those two South Bay towns was more of a "party city" than we probably imagined based on our daylight-hour visits, and suggested that his cranky stick-in-the-mud parents would probably be bothered by younger and more lively neighbors. Trouble is, I don't recall whether he was referring to HB or MB as being the more lively in the evening...

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
5. Re: Hermosa vs. Manhattan

Oh, Hermosa is the #1 Party town!

Redondo Beach...
6. Re: Hermosa vs. Manhattan

With children, I would say Manhattan Beach. Hermosa Beach gets really, really rowdy at night, especially on weekends within several blocks of the Pier. Unless you want to be awakened by all of the drunks staggering home at 2am, stay very far south or north of the Hermosa Pier, or go to Manhattan.

7. Re: Hermosa vs. Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 20, 2014