We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hermosa Beach and LA itinerary

Which Hermosa Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MD
reviews: 1
Hermosa Beach and LA itinerary

Hi ,

My daughter (14) and I are planning on staying in Hermosa beach in April and will have access to a car. We're staying for a couple days to relax and play tourist. Some site seeing possibilities are the Getty, La Brea tar pits, griffith observatory, warner bros. tour, ronald reagan museum. I know our location is far out, but it seems like we're going to be doing a lot of driving anyway and my thought is that we're going to get up and out and stay out and come back at night.

My questions are :

What does the group think of this? And what should I be prepared for driving wise.

Is there a location in LA where one has the possiblility of seeing whales from land in April.

Does the above list hit the highlights of LA sites, I'm sure she'll want to go to rodaeo dr to see it as well. I'm more of a museum, history scenery buff.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome

7 replies to this topic
Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 56
1. Re: Hermosa Beach and LA itinerary

For whale watching from land, I'd try the Palos Verdes peninsula area, specifically:

palosverdes.com/rpv/…

Driving-wise, yes, you'll be in for a lot of driving. The best way from Hermosa to most areas you mentioned will be to start out north on the 405 freeway. Unfortunately, the nearest part of the 405 is about 4 miles from Hermosa so you have a lot of surface street driving just to get out of the Hermosa area.

In general, you want to stay off the roads and especially the freeways during weekday rush hours. Peak times are 7-9AM and 4-7PM but traffic can be building up/dying down an hour outside of those ranges. But usually by 9:30 AM and 7:30 PM traffic is ok. In any case, try to plan not to be driving at those times. On weekends, traffic is unpredictable. There are rarely issues before 11AM or so, then after that there can be slow traffic on the freeways in a lot of places.

You've gotten a good assortment of places on your list. You might want to head over to the pier and the 3rd St. Promenade area in Santa Monica, over to Hollywood to see the famous sights there like the sign and the walk of fame, and perhaps take a studio tour - Universal is the most well known but its more of a theme park. The other alternatives are Warner Bros, Paramount and Sony. Sony will be the closest to Hermosa and Warner the furthest though Warner usuallly gets the better reviews.

Otherwise, be sure to note that there are two Getty museums - the Getty Center in Brentwood is more well known but the Getty Villa near Malibu is very good as well - parking reservations are required for the Villa. www.getty.edu Also the LA County Museum of Art (LACMA) and the Peterson Automobile Museum are both next to the La Brea Tar Pits so you might want to explore there if time permits. These are also close to The Grove / Farmer's Market which your 14 year old might enjoy. Finally, its a long drive but the Norton Simon museum in Pasadena is excellent.

Lastly, if you decide to go, the Regan Library is a very long drive from Hermosa (close to 60 miles) so be sure to heed my advice about not driving there during rush hour, etc.

good luck!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach
reviews: 31
2. Re: Hermosa Beach and LA itinerary

While in Hermosa, be sure to rent bikes at the Hermosa Cyclery and ride along the Strand northward. MacThree's advice on drive times & rush hour is all good. Universal is a more "touristy" tour than WB, which is slightly more technical.

From a museum standpoint, also consider LACMA, and the Museum of Tolerance for a powerful/memorable history lesson.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
3. Re: Hermosa Beach and LA itinerary

Hermosa Beach will be a fun place for your daughter and you to be located, if coming around Easter break. Do bike or take a walk north to the Manhattan Beach Pier area. Lots of shops and restaurants in a few block area. One of my favorites is The Kettle, but there are many to choose from.

http://thekettle.net/Menu.aspx

Our friends who live in Hermosa catch the 405 by driving east on Artesia Blvd. for 3 miles (border of MB and HB) I usually head out about 9:30 am if I'm driving across town.

I wouldn't spend much time trying to see whales from land at this time of year as Dec. and Jan. are the best months, though it would be slightly possible. April through June is a quiet time in the waters. However driving up to Palos Verdes, and stopping at a couple look outs is a good idea for a beautiful view of the Santa Monica Bay.

A stop at the new Terranea Resort for lunch, on the old Marineland property will give you great views of Catalina Island and Point Vincente Lighthouse in PV.

http://www.terranea.com/

Also interesting in PV is the Wayfarer's Chapel.

http://www.wayfarerschapel.org/

Have a great vacation!

Swansea, Australia
4. Re: Hermosa Beach and LA itinerary

how far and how to get to Hermosa from lax? WE WILL be using public transport.

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 52
5. Re: Hermosa Beach and LA itinerary

Mash, I'd definitely recommend the Sony Tour over Warner Bros. It's not that the WB tour gets 'better reviews' than the Sony tour, it's that it get more reviews PERIOD (mostly good but so are Sony's). WB runs their tours EVERY 20 minutes, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm -- that's 29 times per day whereas Sony runs their tours 3 times per day. You can see why there are so many more reviews for WB but again, the majority of reviews for both studios are positive.

Beetle, You can take a taxi (15 to 20 minutes / $21-$25 including tip) or a bus ($1.50 per person -- 30 minutes) which requires transferring (at no charge) out of the airport to the 'off airport bus plaza'. Info about these transfers (and all 'airport transfers') is in our TOP QUESTIONS section at the top right of this page. Look for the "Arrival/Departure Transportation section'.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 56
6. Re: Hermosa Beach and LA itinerary

Where exactly in Hermosa, Beetle? Let us know and we can try to help you figure out what buses to use, otherwise you'll want to take a taxi or a shared van shuttle (www.primetimeshuttle.com or www.supershuttle.com) IF you want to get bus information yourself, use the trip planner located on the right side of www.metro.net's home page. Enter LAX as the starting point and your address you want to get to in Hermosa as the ending point.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
7. Re: Hermosa Beach and LA itinerary

I believe OP Marshul has already come and gone last April.

Beetle, you should Ask a new Question on this forum, about where you are staying in Hermosa Beach, and what you plan to do while in the area with public transportation.

Reply to: Hermosa Beach and LA itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted