We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve

Which Healdsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Frantastic
reviews: 15
Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve

A couple of us gals are going to the wine country and one of us loves to hike. Me, I'd rather wait for her in a nice winery, but that is not an option. We'll be biking along Dry Creek on a Saturday in June, and while looking at the map, I saw Armstrong Redwoods SNR, which I thought was weird because I hadn't come across it in any of my other hiking research.

Is Armstrong Redwoods worth a visit? (No, we are not going to fight the crowds at Muir Woods, thank you.) Is it pretty enough that the experienced hiker won't get bored, but not too challenging that the novice will be terrified (we did a hike in Big Sur a couple months ago and I thought I was going to have to get evacuated by helicopter!)?

Any advice appreciated.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 80
1. Re: Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve

Here is an article authored by a local: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60713-c139373 It's really an itinerary for a day trip from SF that includes Armstrong Redwoods, but I think the article has good info for you.

San Frantastic
2. Re: Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve

Thanks, PacificNYFamily! I'll check that out right now. :-)

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
3. Re: Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve

The link to Armstrong Grove in the article PNWF gave you includes a map showing some trails and has a description of the park. It is definitely worth a visit.

San Francisco...
reviews: 127
4. Re: Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve

Armstrong's tallest tree is over 300 feet, about 50 feet taller than the tallest ones at Muir Woods.

If you don't quite like hiking as much, your thought of biking makes sense. Here's a link to a bike route to Armstrong you might find useful. gorp.com/weekend-guide/travel-ta-road-biking…

Did you need to rent bikes while you're there?

San Francisco...
reviews: 127
5. Re: Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve

Or a compromise that would still kinda like "hiking" would be to do it with Segways. …rezgo.com/details/12168/armstrong-redwoods-…

Edited: 7:49 pm, June 06, 2013
San Frantastic
6. Re: Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve

Hi ALTippit, thanks for the links. The biking one looks helpful.

I can't believe they are letting Segway tours in the redwoods, though! A company started doing Segway tours in Central Park in NY and the Central Park Conservancy freaked out and is working to put a stop to them -- and that's in an urban park with paved pathways! Don't get me wrong -- I love Segways! But I'm not sure a state nature preserve is the place for them.

But maybe it will make more sense when I get there and check out the setting for myself, on a bike :-)

San Francisco, Ca
reviews: 60
7. Re: Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve

My friend and I have the same problem... she's learned to call them "walks" and then I'm on board. I think Armstrong would be great... a lot of the hiking trails are flat (or relatively so), especially around the valley floor main picnic area. You can actually see a lot from a car, even, and stop along those roads for a brief walk, rather than hiking up the hills. If you keep going along to Bullfrog Pond Campground (by car), it looks like there would be a nice flat hike/walk around the pond.

Their website has a page distinguishing between walks and hikes: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=23369

Edited: 1:47 pm, June 07, 2013
San Frantastic
8. Re: Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve

SFSusanW - too funny! But #5 on that "Walks & Hikes" page is honest, at least. It says "Definitely a hike".

OK, so my new plan is to take a scenic drive to Guernville, grab some lunch, and hit Armstrong. Then Yountville-bound via Sonoma & Trinity Rd. (which I have been assured is lovely). Thanks everyone for your tips & advice!

9. Re: Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Preserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 09, 2014