We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Healdsburg- a mini report

Which Healdsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
reviews: 256
Just back from Healdsburg- a mini report

This was my 5th trip to Healdsburg. My 22 yr old daughter wanted to visit wine country and SF for her college graduation present and she wanted to go with me! Unfortunately, she broke her foot prior to the trip and was in a cast and a knee scooter for the trip. It did diminish our fun a bit, as we love to walk and hike and were pretty much car/taxi bound. We flew SWA fro SDF to Oakland and rented a Fiat 500 to tool around. Great fun! On our trip up, we stopped at Della Santina's in Sonoma for the best gnocchi I've ever tasted and the day was perfect for their outdoor patio. We shopped a bit before heading up to Gloria Ferrer for a sparkling wine and a nice view. It was very crowded on a Sunday afternoon. Traveling from Sonoma back to 101 was crazy- the traffic coming out of Napa was outrageous. We finally checked in to the Dry Creek Best Western- a good choice for double beds and a great rate of 89 per night. We went to big John's Market and stocked up on wine and goodies and enjoyed the pool and hot tub.

The breakfast at hotel was gross, so we enjoyed some omelets at the always good Center Street Cafe. I decided to take my daughter to places where we had visited or were wine club members. First stop was Wilson- arguably the best Zins bottled in the area. We have been happy club members for several years. Next stop was with Rick Hutchison at Amphora. They are tasting in the barrel room, but the wines are dynamite and his club is great. The foot is sore, so we wheeled into Geyserville for lunch at Diavolo, one of my fav places. It was packed, but service and food were wonderful. Next stop, Ramazotti's where we are members of his first wine club! Joe was out, but we met his wife Norma and had some delicious wines. His red blends are so tasty! We were supposed to eat at Willi's but were too full, lol! Evening at hot tub was much enjoyed.

The next morning we had a really delicious healthy breakfast at a new spot, A Bean Affair, near our hotel. We then drove up to Ferrari-Carano, enjoyed the gardens and had a nice tasting in the downstairs Enoteca. Perfect. We then drove over to Alexander Valley and visited the funky Johnson Family winery. The theatre organ wasn't working, the water wasn't working, but we enjoyed a taste with June and had a blast with the dog. We stopped next at Soda Rock, another Wilson Winery, where Grace gave us a side by side tasting. Delicious wines and an interesting room.I decided to take Nat over to Napa on 128, a fun drive. We stopped and did some retail damage in Calistoga. Since my daughter loves flowers and gardens, I took her to Rombauer for a great tasting (always) and their amazing gardens. Next, we went to St Helena for more retail damage and lunch We stopped into a little Mexican spot, Armadillo's, which had really delicious food! Hit the spot! We hit lots of the usual nasty Napa traffic on the return trip. We were going to go to the music fest that night, but were pooped and her foot hurt, so it was hot tub time again and goodies from Big John's.

My husband and I have visited about 150 wineries in Napa/Sonoma, so I didn't miss anything. I would have liked to go to Preston for the grounds, but it didn't happen. Still, she got a real feel for the area, had some great food/wine and a relaxing time. Next stop, San Francisco for 3 days!

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 39
1. Re: Just back from Healdsburg- a mini report

Thanks for your great report.

We are visiting in September and you have given me useful tips.

reviews: 740
2. Re: Just back from Healdsburg- a mini report

Sounds like you had a very nice time and made some wonderful memories! :)

3. Re: Just back from Healdsburg- a mini report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, August 09, 2013