We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Tasting Day Advice!!

Which Healdsburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 6
Wine Tasting Day Advice!!

My boyfriend and I will be spending a day in Healdsburg. We are big red lovers- any big, bold zin or cab, please throw my way:) We are spending a day (possibly two) in Healdsburg and had made a rough itinerary of wineries to visit. However, it seems like we have too many for us to really sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery (and vino!). We are looking for the best reds, with the most amazing atmosphere/scenery mix...Any advice you could give on which to possibly throw out (or others to add in!), please do tell. Here is what we were thinking:

Hanna

Robert Young

Ferrari Carano

Mauritson

Mazzacco

Wilson

Seghesio

united states
reviews: 26
1. Re: Wine Tasting Day Advice!!

Well I'd say that you have good choices in Seghesio, Wilson and Mauritson. Those are among our favorites. I think that you would enjoy Stryker as well...it fits your bill. All of your others are on our places to see list, we just have't made it there (on time) yet.

I like Seghesio for the wines and the friendliness of the staff. We have encountered family members on each of our visits there so far and are always struck by how engaging they are even when its crowded. The tasting room can get loud because of all the tile, so if that becomes too much for you, just go out to the picnic area and enjoy the day.

We love Wilson's Tori vineyard wines and the fact that the wrap around porch practically sets you down in the vineyard. They have added space there in the last year and things weren't quite "together" at our last visit, but I think it will be great when all the details are completed.

Mauritson is a new favorite of ours since meeting the owner/winemaker at a ZAP event held here last summer. The tasting room is new, and the dogs are just a little pesky ( they are real beggars, but sweet tempered labs), but I think they have a good idea on where they want to go with it. We really enjoyed the Zin flight that allows you to taste wine from each vineyard and see samples of the ground it grows in as well as get a little history of each site. It really helped me to understand the whole "terroir" thing much more clearly and to see that it really does make a difference.

You do have a lot on your list for a day where you want to really savor the visits. I would suggest doing something like Seghesio, Wilson, Mauritson and Mazzocco OR Hanna, Robert Young, Stryker and Seghesio ( since it is in Healdsburg) and plan for a picnic at one of the venues. That would give you a nice variety of places with either grouping, and keeps locations close enough that you aren't chasing all over the place wasting time in the car when you could be enjoying the day.

Edited: 2:38 am, May 06, 2010
Napa
reviews: 7
2. Re: Wine Tasting Day Advice!!

Yes, add Stryker - and Alexander Valley Winery. I also like Hawkes very much!

Enjoy!

South Carolina
reviews: 10
3. Re: Wine Tasting Day Advice!!

If you visit Stryker (for their big Zins), Hawkes is a must (for their big Cabs)! They are located on Alexander Valley Road - 6734 Highway 128.

reviews: 740
4. Re: Wine Tasting Day Advice!!

We really enjoyed our time at Gary Farrell, they do some very nice Pinot Noir there and the views from the back of the tasting room are very pretty. Have fun! :)

united states
5. Re: Wine Tasting Day Advice!!

Well medgirl, looks like you are going to need another day with all these new ideas! :)

You could actually "do" this entire list in one day if you were to take out F-C, but it wouldn't set you up for the relaxed, slow-paced day that I had envisioned that you meant initially.

Healdsburg, CA
reviews: 16
6. Re: Wine Tasting Day Advice!!

Mauritson and Seghesio are both great for Zinfandels (ask for the Rockpile Zin at Mauritson), and another great one in this area (Dry Creek Valley) is Dutcher Crossing, which has exellent Maple Zinfandel, as well as Cabernets. Robert Young is exellent for Cab, and if you are out that way, also head by Stryker Sonoma and Hawkes for some more great cabs.

Ferrari Carano is beautiful, but really the grounds out shine the wine. Hanna is nice, and beautiful, but I would recommend the other three in Alexander Valley (Robert Young, Stryker, Hawkes) over it.

Innkeeper Mandie

Honor Mansion

Danville, California
reviews: 132
7. Re: Wine Tasting Day Advice!!

Field Stone Winery is a wonderful setting for a picnic!

The wines are decent and they will provide you with a tablecloth. Plus they waive the $5 tasting fees if you purchase a bottle, say for your picnic!

Edited: 7:27 pm, May 06, 2010
united states
8. Re: Wine Tasting Day Advice!!

OK, Mandie, I just have to ask...Maple Zinfandel???

Healdsburg, CA
reviews: 16
9. Re: Wine Tasting Day Advice!!

It's from the Maple vineyards; Dutcher Crossing, Passalacqua and I THINK Armida get to buy grapes from there. I just had a bottle of Dutcher Crossing's, and it was amazing! www.maplezin.com is the website for the couple who one the Vineyards, and make some of their own wine though i've never tried it.

united states
10. Re: Wine Tasting Day Advice!!

Hmmm...yet another for "the list". You guys are killin' me over there. :)

I think I just need to move in....