We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best lodging, restaurants, things to see and do

Which Half Moon Bay hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Va Beach
reviews: 30
Best lodging, restaurants, things to see and do

We will be traveling mid November and HMB is our last 3 day stop before flying back to the east coast...the inn at mavericks can only accommodate us 2 out of 3 nights..we are traveling with an 11month old..and I hate to pack up after one night (lotta work with a baby) any other similar recommendations?

Also we love to eat great food, plan on doing later lunch/brunches and early dinners. Have traveled extensively thru Sonoma and napa and eaten at many of those fabulous rest. I know this is much more laid back, beach town which we love! I have read about the ritz brunch, don't think we will make it in time.

Also into hiking and biking and touring anything, being on the water boat ride, we are into a lot! Anything in particular fun to do with baby in tow? We will do it all with him regardless :) thanks in advance for the tips!!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 131
1. Re: Best lodging, restaurants, things to see and do

HMB wakes up during and before Halloween but other than that it is a sleepy town with pony rides and kiddy stuff at lemos farm.

Beach house hotel, the ritz ? That would be the Best but you asked

Food. pasta moon, HMB brewing co. SAMs chowder house , la costenera Peruvian in Montara

3 days in HMB ? You can go south to. La Honda and hike there . I don't know about beach time in November but you can try

Va Beach
2. Re: Best lodging, restaurants, things to see and do

Thank you so much for the tips... Totally did ask!!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
3. Re: Best lodging, restaurants, things to see and do

Sorry, but I cannot imagine 3 days in Half Moon Bay. What will you do after you have walked the main street and checked out the sand at the beach?

Va Beach
4. Re: Best lodging, restaurants, things to see and do

gosh really?! everyone keeps telling me the same thing about Morro Bay...im trying to figure what to do the last 3 days didnt want to do SF, will already have done Santa Cruz and Carmel/Monterey and Big Sur...

San Mateo...
reviews: 28
5. Re: Best lodging, restaurants, things to see and do

Half Moon Bay and the coast side of San Mateo is a wonderful laid back place... We live about 7 miles away (by air... but 20 by curvy road) , across the hill near SFO, and we use it as our weekend escape... We have occasionally done a night at a local B&B (the Seal Cove Inn)

Drive the coast (slowly... ) explore the fishing pier at Princeton... eat at the Half Moon Bay Brewery, at Sam's Chowder House (both have music ... check their web sites...) walk the Fitzgerald Marine Reserve at Moss Beach... Walk the main street in Half Moon Bay (the town of Half Moon Bay is somewhat away from the bay at Princeton) visit the feed and seed, visit the galleries... My favorite beaches to walk are North... beyond Montera, but not quite to the tunnel...

There is a ranch with pony rides a mile or two east on Hwy 92... might be what a toddler wants?

Ranging further south... the San Gregorio General Store http://www.sangregoriostore.com/ does live music weekends... the bloody Mary's are famous.. a bit to the east along Pescadero Creek at Memorial County Park you can hike in the redwoods... There is a second state park to hike behind the city of Half Moon Bay... up the street at the south end of town past the fire station and Johnson House...

If trying to take it easy... exploring slowly... the San Mateo Coast is a great choice...

If at lunch at Half Moon Bay Brewery, on the patio, on a Sunday, you encounter a couple, with a large black long hair dog named Emma, possibly with a 20 something daughter say hi... it might be us...

Santa Clara...
reviews: 17
6. Re: Best lodging, restaurants, things to see and do

Everything takes longer with kids. I don't see anything wrong with a relaxed stay with nothing more planned than eating and looking at the sand. Definitely go to the tidepools at Fitzgerald Reserve. Check the timetables for low tides when you will be visiting. Is the little one walking yet? The place was full of kids when I was there a few weeks ago. Wear shoes with good grip for the slippery rocks and exposed algae.

Va Beach
7. Re: Best lodging, restaurants, things to see and do

Oh thank u all so much for taking the time to write such wonderful tips!! We are looking forward To touring that area very much!!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 2,442
8. Re: Best lodging, restaurants, things to see and do

You might like the fireplace area to sit by (its in the patio) at Half Moon bay Brewing Company. They have inside seating as well - but its relaxed setting, good beer and food; dog friendly, baby friendly and relaxing.

http://www.hmbbrewingco.com/

We like the Half Moon Bay State Park area - lots of places to walk; nice by the ocean.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=531

There is a goat cheese tasting place a short drive away - lots of great goat cheese plus you can go see the goats at Harley

http://www.harleyfarms.com/

Boat rides are mostly fishing trips out of Half Moon Bay - we tend to ignore as we had a so-so trip doing rock fishing once.

There is wine tasting also in Half Moon Bay plus a fun downtown area (arts/crafts - worth an hour or so)

http://www.halfmoonbaywinetasting.com/

and even if you are not staying at the Ritz Carlon you can park and enjoy walking the grounds - they ahve a bagpipe player at night and its sort of cool to watch the ocean and listen to the bagpipes

tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g324…

ritzcarlton.com/en/…

Just wanted to add a few other possibilities - have a great time.

reviews: 767
9. Re: Best lodging, restaurants, things to see and do

We spent alot of time in Half Moon Bay and have stayed at The Ritz, AmeriValue Inn, Oceano Inn and Spa and The Beach House. I think you would love The Beach House for your lodging. There is a wonderful outdoor heated pool there, jacuzzi, complimentary breakfast and very accomodating staff at this hotel.

We have dined at most of the places in town and love them all! Pasta Moon, Navio @ The Ritz, The Conservatory Lounge, Sam's Chowder House, Centrella, Mezza Luna and Marimar are all very good. This is an off the beaten path little coastal town where we love to spend time relaxing. Have fun! :)

Va Beach
10. Re: Best lodging, restaurants, things to see and do

thank you both so much for the restaurant suggestions and the goat farm idea!! would love to do that!!

also thank you for the lodging considerations I think we are going to book beach house!!