We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clovis area or N Fresno st?

Which Fresno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
reviews: 6
clovis area or N Fresno st?

Hello,

For a couple of days I will need to be in downtown Fresno for work. should I stay in the Clovis are or N. Fresno street? I would like close proximity to restaurants and easy access to the freeway.

thanks!

12 replies to this topic
Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
reviews: 2
1. Re: clovis area or N Fresno st?

I would stay on Herndon or Fresno street in North Fresno. Easy access to freeway, and lots of restaurants. There are many choices, pick your hotel chain! Let me know what kind of food you are looking for and I can direct you. Welcome!

san francisco
2. Re: clovis area or N Fresno st?

there is a Homewood suites and springhill suites in the 6800 block of N. Fresno. We like asian food :)

Fresno, CA
Destination Expert
for Fresno
3. Re: clovis area or N Fresno st?

Both are franchised to the same company and located in the same parking lot, so pick if you have a loyalty program. As far ad Asian food, there's Imperial Garden on Blackstone and Herndon that people love. There's PF Chang's. I'll think on Thai food and get back to you. Japanese at riverbank, Yoshinos. My favorite Chinese food is east on Herndon, The Hunan at Herndon and Cedar Ave. They just remodeled, and I haven't been there since (they just reopened last week)

Edited: 11:58 pm, June 23, 2013
Fresno, California
4. Re: clovis area or N Fresno st?

Hunan is very good, in spite of the restaurant name Chef Liu's specialty is Szechwan and Northern Chinese. The restaurant offers a mix of that along with Americanized Chinese recipes.

Chef Liu was at the Grand Hotel Beijing as Head Chef and Executive Chef before coming to the US. He developed a following at China Village in Albany in the Bay Area for a few years before purchasing the existing Hunan in Fresno (he retained the name rather than spend money on a new sign). Many Bay Area foodies still organize trips to Fresno just for his cooking. Here is a 2008 article from San Jose about Chef Liu attracting fans to his Fresno restaurant.

www.mercurynews.com/restaurants/ci_10794491

Menus and info at:

http://hunanwme.com/menu.html

Edited: 12:27 am, June 24, 2013
San Francisco...
5. Re: clovis area or N Fresno st?

Muffya and Fresno Facts,

Well, I sure have a good selection! I will try one suggestion each day thanks to both of you,

Who knows, may be competition for SF.

Thanks!

LJHOMER

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 341
6. Re: clovis area or N Fresno st?

In Fresno I'd do something local and unique like The Silver Dollar Hofbrau, a tribute to the hofbraus that once dotted the Central Valley for the German immigrant farmers to the valley.

I'd also look at the Shepherd's Inn, a Basque restaurant. The Basques were another important immigrant group and it gets harder every year to find good Basque restaurants.

And lastly Mexican. The Mexican in Fresno is pretty different from most of what you have in the Bay Area. La Kebrada Mexican Restaurant and Castillo's Mexican Food are both pretty good.

Edited: 10:26 pm, June 24, 2013
san francisco
7. Re: clovis area or N Fresno st?

thanks for the info. I do like basque food and willing to try the Mexican food in Fresno.

San Jose, California
reviews: 30
8. Re: clovis area or N Fresno st?

I like to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Clovis on Shaw Avenue and go to Japanese Kitchen or Tsing Tao across the street. Both have good food and have easy access to the 168, 180 freeways to get downtown. Takes about 20 minutes to get to the general downtown area, but an easy drive.

Berkeley CA
9. Re: clovis area or N Fresno st?

So Chef Liu is still in Fresno? I first ate his food at the Grand Hotel, and then he was at China Village a block from my house... might be in the Fresno area so...

Fresno, California
10. Re: clovis area or N Fresno st?

Chef Liu still owns and works in the kitchen at Hunan. But he now has two locations.

http://hunanwme.com/contact-us.html

For a while the Fresno location was closed for remodeling and Chef Liu was cooking at the Clovis location. But now that the original Fresno location has reopened he may be back in the Fresno kitchen.

Its been a while since I have been to Hunan so I am not sure which location you are more likely to find him. You might call the restaurant to get a better idea.

Reply to: clovis area or N Fresno st?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted