We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Fresno State stadium

Which Fresno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
reviews: 21
Hotel near Fresno State stadium

Hi! We are coming out for a football game at Fresno State. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel close by? Thanks!

Fresno, California
1. Re: Hotel near Fresno State stadium

I don't now which game you are attending, maybe vs Rutgers? Fresno State game day atmosphere can be an enjoyable time. This is a video shot by a visiting University of Cincinnati fan a couple of years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySJKqW7Vxvs

This link is a game day parking and traffic flow map. It will come in handy when looking at some hotel locations.

…cstv.com/photos/…BulldogStadiumParking.pdf

I don't know if your tickets are connected to a parking pass, if so you can locate that lot by color.

Otherwise, if you need to drive between the hotel and stadium you will use the green lot on the east side of the campus. From that lot you can either walk across the campus the 1/2 mile to the stadium or use one of the shuttle buses that circulate constantly on game day. Parking location may be something to consider when selecting a hotel location due to game day traffic.

The closest hotel to the stadium is University Square Hotel located about 1/3 mile south. It used to be easy to recommend it. But since a change in ownership 1 or 2 years ago the reviews seem mixed. I'll let you judge for yourself. The location on the game day map link is at the bottom left where the school logo is printed.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32414-d79397-R…

Next closest would be choices about 1.5 to 2 miles either east or west of the stadium (just off the map above). Be careful on the exact locations though since the chains have multiple sites in the area and it is easy to book in the wrong neighborhood.

To the east of the stadium would be the Clovis Hilton Garden Inn or the Clovis Holiday Inn Express (both on Shaw Ave). Both are only 2 or 3 years old and are good choices. To the west it would be either the Ramada Fresno North or the Best Western Plus Fresno Inn (both also on Shaw Ave). The Ramada and BW+ are close to a major mall/shopping area which adds a lot of restaurant choices and are also good hotel choices.

After the above choices I would recommend hotel clusters in either the North Fresno/River Park area (near the Freeway 41/Herndon interchange) or near Old Town Clovis. Either area is about 4 miles to the stadium. In the RiverPark area look at hotels like the Homewood Suites Fresno, Hampton Inn Fresno, LaQuinta Riverpark, etc. Near Old Town Clovis consider either the Fairfield Inn Clovis or the Comfort Suites Clovis. Also the Homewood Suites Clovis and the Hampton Inn Clovis are good choices too.

I hope you enjoy the stay and game, although I have to admit I hope for a Fresno State win.

Edited: 2:41 pm, June 08, 2013
Pennsylvania
2. Re: Hotel near Fresno State stadium

Thank you so much!! It is the Rutgers game and hopefully, our son will be the starting RG. We will get tickets from Rutgers but I have no idea if parking is included since he is a RS freshman and didn't travel last year.

Looking forward to a great game ( and a win ;) )!

San Jose, California
reviews: 30
3. Re: Hotel near Fresno State stadium

Stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Clovis on Shaw Avenue. They have a shuttle that can drop you off to the stadium, free breakfast and they have a Fresno State rate (based on availability) which is around $99.

University Square is closer but it's aged a lot (former Piccadilly Inn) that can use some updating. Stayed there twice when I got put there for work and both stays were sub par.

Pennsylvania
4. Re: Hotel near Fresno State stadium

We are going to stay at the Radisson where the team is staying, despite the less than glowing reviews. Are there any decent restaurants or food stores close by?

Visalia, CA
reviews: 37
5. Re: Hotel near Fresno State stadium

FresnoFacts or Muffya probably know better than me but I don't think there are a lot of choices in that area. However if you hop on 41 and head north to Riverpark (Nees & 41) you will have more places to pick from. If there is anything in particular you are looking for let us know.

Fresno, California
6. Re: Hotel near Fresno State stadium

I'd want to get a clarification, is it the Radisson Inn or the Park Inn by Radisson? A street address would also work. They are in different areas, the Radisson is downtown while the Park Inn by Radisson is on Blackstone (the old Sheraton Four Points/Smugglers Inn). Both are quite a ways from the stadium so interesting team choice.

Also, both of those are in more urban environments, not necessarily unsafe. Fresno commercial areas are more upscale or middle class mainly in the northern areas.

If you can give a little more info about which location as well as the type of restaurant you might like (or a type of food) I can put together some ideas. Also are you going to have a rental car or not?

San Jose, California
reviews: 30
7. Re: Hotel near Fresno State stadium

I personally love Dog House Grill on Shaw Avenue, about a mile from the stadium. They have a great tri-tip sandwich, but also have salads, chicken burgers, tacos, etc. and is a favorite in Fresno.

If you are looking for places near the Radisson though, the pickings are a little slimmer as places close early or are not opened on weekends. For basic hotel food though, the Radisson has decent food at their cafe area.

Pennsylvania
8. Re: Hotel near Fresno State stadium

It is the downtown Radisson on Ventura St. Most of the away game hotels seem to be the airport/convention type places. A group of parents is trying to decide whether to meet somewhere for dinner before the game or pick up food and tailgate together. We will have rental cars. The Dog House Grill sounds good. Any suggestions for good takeout food for tailgating?

Thanks so much for your help!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
9. Re: Hotel near Fresno State stadium

It depends on the kind of food and experience you are looking for.

On the way to the field is the Silver Dollar Hofbrau, an old school Fresno place. I love it because it is a unique place and a remnant of a bygone era.

http://goo.gl/maps/couob

Another place I love and not fan from your hotel is the Shepherd's Inn, a great Basque restaurant. The Basques were one of the important, early immigrant groups to California.

www.shepherdsinnfresno.com/dinner_menu.html

Another important early immigrant group to Fresno were the Armenians. Good Armenian spots are AJ's and George's Bar & Grill.

Just north of Downtown at Blackstone and Divisadero is an old school Italian restaurant I've been going to as long as I can remember, Di Cicco's The Original.

If you like Chinese food, Fresno has one of the best Chinese restaurants in the state, Hunan Chinese. Their chef was formerly the head chef at the best hotel in Beijing. How he landed in Fresno I'll never know, but its main location is not far from the stadium at Cedar & Herndon.

https://www.facebook.com/hunanfresno/page_map

Pennsylvania
10. Re: Hotel near Fresno State stadium

There are more parents going than I realized so I think we will definitely be tailgating rather than going to a restaurant. I will share the suggestions with those that arriving Wednesday afternoon.

Any takeout suggestions would be appreciated!