We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

las vegas

Which Fresno hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fresno, California
las vegas

Can anyone give me info on how the trip from fresno to las vegas is ? is it safe?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
reviews: 74
1. Re: las vegas

What trip?

A flight? A drive via Bakersfield? A tour?

What kind of safety concerns you? If you're planning to drive, then you are probably already familiar with the biggest challenge ~ tule fog!

Cuenca, Ecuador
Destination Expert
for California Desert
reviews: 47
2. Re: las vegas

Hello Lydia, and welcome to TripAdvisor and the Fresno forum.

Are you driving? If so, besides Tule Fog as my friendly fellow member PacificNWFamily mentioned, depending on the time of day and the day you drive, driving Interstate 15 northeast from Barstow can be quite a bit different than driving California State Route 41 or California State Route 99.

Traffic on I-15 is often traveling at 80 miles an hour or more, with drivers not driving defensively. Instead, they change lanes without turning their heads to see if it is safe to do so (to get to Las Vegas quicker. . . besides, they *own* the road), swerve off the roadway due to inattentiveness (cell phone, coffee, food, disturbance/distraction in the car), tailgate, and are generally rude during higher traffic periods.

Higher traffic periods northeast of Barstow on I-15 traveling north are typically evenings from 8 PM to Midnight or later, especially on a Thursday or Friday. Saturday mornings aren't always much better. This traffic pattern reverses itself on a Sunday morning around 9 to 10 AM. If you leave by 12 Noon, you are in the thick of the traffic going back. 4 to 5 PM or later results in much less traffic back the way you first came.

Yes, California Highway Patrol is on I-15 all the time writing tickets and taking care of accidents daily. Big time, too. Even so, drivers don't seem to notice or care until it is too late.

Now. . . all that said, if you would like to be routed on a much safer and even scenic routing, I'd be glad to let you know. A couple of ways, in fact. Just post a followup request right here on this thread you started, and I'll be happy to provide the details. These TripAdvisor (TA) forums are designed to be interactive between forum members. I'd take advantage of that built in feature and give us some feedback on what you might desire. Hope to hear from you soon!

Olympia, WA.
reviews: 13
3. Re: las vegas

We are visiting Fresno during spring break, and going to Vegas for a few days within the trip. We were thinking of taking I-15, but now I see there might be a better method? Do tell!

Visalia, CA
reviews: 37
4. Re: las vegas

Fog should not be a problem. We have had very little this year and your travel dates are outside the usual "foggy" time of year. 99 to 58 to I-15 is the best way to get to LV from Fresno, unless you fly. (Allegiant Air offers cheap fares from Fresno to LV depending on the dates you go). The drive from Fresno to LV is freeway all the way and is about 6+ hours not counting stops.

Not trying to knock the other posters but people driving 80 mph on the freeways here in CA is not abnormal nor atypical. I-15 is basically a long flat, straight, 2-lane, highway featuring extremely boring scenery. It is very easy to find yourself speeding through here. I don't know for sure but I think the speed limit is 70 mph thru there. This means most traffic will be moving at 75-80 mph. Again, that is not unusual.

I would try to avoid driving in on Friday afternoon/evening or driving out on Sunday as that is when you can reasonably expect to hit traffic. If you do come & go on those dates leave early so you can avoid the worst of the traffic. Have fun & good luck.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
reviews: 13
5. Re: las vegas

Lydia -

Care to elaborate on your question???

Fresno, California
reviews: 12
6. Re: las vegas

Drive to Vegas = Horrible. Seriously long and ugly and Lord help you if you hit the traffic from the LA crowd headed to or from (after Bakersfield, it's all the same path). I highly suggest flying Allegiant. Super cheap and the flight is 45 minutes. Vegas isn't a town that requires a car.

7. Re: las vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 23, 2013