We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Redwood Highway in a weekend?

Which Fortuna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 31
Redwood Highway in a weekend?

Leaving San Francisco on a Friday around 1 - with return flight on Sunday around 3 - goal is to get the Redwood Highway in - visit the Redwood National Park and as much in between as possible without killing ourselves. Enjoy quick hikes and seeing the more natural attractions. Fortuna seemed to be the best spot to stay overnight for the first night, any other suggestions on travel plans?

3 replies to this topic
San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 75
1. Re: Redwood Highway in a weekend?

I would probably spend both nights in Eureka or Trinidad rather than Fortuna - I just personally like those towns better. And they are well located for seeing the redwoods. Prairie Creek Redwoods is a really neat park just north of there.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
reviews: 22
2. Re: Redwood Highway in a weekend?

You will have just Saturday to explore Redwood National Park and the three state parks that have most of the redwood groves. I don't think it's worth the long drive. There are very nice redwoods near Mendocino which is a lot closer and a better fit for your time-frame.

Eureka, California
reviews: 2
3. Re: Redwood Highway in a weekend?

Hi SassC

To avoid killing yourself you need 1 more day. Fortuna would work but nothing special there. On a good day SFO is 5 1/2 to 6 hours from Fortuna, factor in rental return and security. You need one day up with limited time in the groves. One day South to Ave of Giants, and HRSP. One Long Day up to Crescent City and back to Fortuna. One day back to SFO. For the most part the redwoods in Mendo are wimpy when compared to Humboldt and Del Norte

Have Fun

GP

Edited: 12:04 am, February 16, 2012
Reply to: Redwood Highway in a weekend?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Fortuna