We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fortuna is my main goal!

Which Fortuna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lincoln, United...
reviews: 8
Fortuna is my main goal!

Hello!!

I am currently starting to plan a year long trip for June 2011, starting around Europe, heading on to Australia and New Zealand, and then finishing off in the US. I am hoping to spend 4 months on each continent, which should allow me enough time to get to all the places I want to go to, I have a lot of miles to cover lol!

I would like ideally to fly from Australia and land in California, and to drive from San Francisco up to Vancouver [the ferry terminal], is this do-able? If it isn't, then how would I be able to do this leg of the trip without a car? Can I even rent a car on a British Drivers License?? I want to do this route because there are a few places along the way that I want to see, Fortuna being one of them, as I heard it is the place to go to see the Giant Redwoods! The round the world ticket only allows so many stops, and I have to be careful how I use them to get from one corner of the earth to the next.

Please offer mee advise if you have the time! It would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

x

Bay City, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Michigan
reviews: 1,013
1. Re: Fortuna is my main goal!

I can't really helpy you, but I envy you tremendously. Have a wonderful experience.

The Redwoods are something you definitely should see. Be sure and drive the whole Avenue of the Giants Highway. You can drive up from SF, and I'd drive along the Highway 1, the coast road, and then it eventually comes to the Avenue of the Giants (Redwood Highway), and end near Fortuna.

San Diego...
reviews: 40
2. Re: Fortuna is my main goal!

I don't see any reason you can do any of that and I believe you would have no trouble renting a car if you are over 25 years of age. There are a few companies that specialize in overseas car rentals one is www.auto-europe.co.uk A price comparison site many Americans use is www.kayak.com One way car rentals are generally more expensive, so keep that in mind.

There are two types of redwoods in California (giant and tall), north of San Francisco, you will find the tall redwoods in a number of groves including Muir Woods, see www.nps.gov/muwo which is only a short distance from San Francisco and can be visited in a day trip (start early through as it gets crowded). The larger groves are much further north, mostly along Highway 101 which goes right through beautiful Richardson's Grove which I highly recommend, see http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=422 There are a number of other redwood groves such as Humboldt which are also recommended.

Edited: 6:21 pm, September 06, 2010
Lincoln, United...
3. Re: Fortuna is my main goal!

Awh, thanks you two!!

I didnt think it would be possible to drive at all with me not being American! [I am over 25 too!] The idea of driving on your side of the road is really scary haha! roundabouts and junctions will mess with my head!!

I think I would have to drive back to San Frascisco, as the round the world ticket only allows 7 stops, and as far as I am aware, you have to set off from the same airport you landed at, so I would be able to return the car and possible drive back on a different route ... food for thought!

I will look at the places you mentioned, should give me a much clearer idea of what I can see and do, and thank you again!

x

San Diego...
reviews: 40
4. Re: Fortuna is my main goal!

While heading up highway 101 to see the redwoods around Fortuna is very nice, you can get a good look at a redwood grove at Muir Woods which is just a day trip from San Francisco. In addition to car rental, tours and/or public transit may be available in June for Muir Woods... post a question in the San Francisco forum. Other outstanding things to do in California include Yosemite Valley which is wonderful in June, but lodging there starts to book up almost a year in advance, see www.yosemitepark.com be sure to book valley lodging such as Yosemite Lodge, Curry, or The Ahwahnee. Amtrak provides bus/train/bus transit from San Francisco to Yosemite Valley, bus tours are also available. Highway 1 around Big Sur and nearby Hearst Castle are also outstanding attractions south of San Francisco, best visited by car, but tours are available.

Edited: 8:55 pm, September 07, 2010
Lincoln, United...
5. Re: Fortuna is my main goal!

cool! thank you very much!!

I will research that right now!

:D

6. Re: Fortuna is my main goal!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, March 08, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Fortuna