We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad experience in Eureka

Which Eureka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
orygun
Bad experience in Eureka

If you stay in a motel in eureka, be sure to take all your belongings in your room with you! it would probably be a good idea to haul them with you wherever you end up...especially if it is a Motel 6 on 101. i was there a few days ago, got in late, forgot to grab the laptop out of the xtra cab on my truck. yeah, stupid. parked 10 feet from my room, 30 from the office and when i woke up next AM, guess what? no side window in my truck, glass all over the ground, and laptop missing...Motel said i signed agreement that they are not liable for theft loss etc. cop said too bad you dont have the serial # they might try to pawn it. car insurance said we'll fix the window, foget about the laptop.

so ok, i'm whining...it was an old laptop, had lots of family pix on it, the bag had some personal papers but nothing i cant replace...just sux

chaos

New York City, New...
reviews: 7
1. Re: Bad experience in Eureka

A similar theft happened to me in Fort Bragg, farther south along the California coast. Got a motel room right on Hwy One, about 10PM, fell asleep in the room till sometime after midnight. Went out to my car, just outside the door, and my backpack was gone. My work keys and some camping gear were in it. Nothing too serious in the end, but it did suck for the trip. It's not just Eureka, be sure to take all your belongings into your room wherever you are.

Eureka, CA
reviews: 18
2. Re: Bad experience in Eureka

Big city, small town: opportunists are everywhere. Prudence should be, as well.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
reviews: 68
3. Re: Bad experience in Eureka

Chaos--if you have homeowners' insurance, it may cover the laptop. Seems odd, but a friend said when a number of items were stolen from his vehicle he was paid for at least part of their value thru his h.o. insurance. Now, that was a number of yrs ago so maybe the insurance carriers have dropped that type of coverage, but if you own a home, check it out.

Eureka, CA
4. Re: Bad experience in Eureka

Chaos, sorry about your bad experience in Eureka. Yes, it really stinks and if I had the budget I would help replace it. While the motel may not have technically been responsible, it also sounds like they were less than sympathetic. It's really embarassing when we're trying to encourage folks to visit here. I hope you won't hold it against Eureka in general because it's really a fantastic place, here in the middle of the Redwood Coast. I love living here, despite the unsavory elements which we are trying to do something about. Take care and happy voyaging!

--Tony from the Eureka/Humboldt County Convention & Visitors Bureau.

(PS, I think the other poster was correct that your homeowners or renter's insurance may be able to help)

5. Re: Bad experience in Eureka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 18, 2009