We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari Park with children - do you need a safari add on

Which Escondido hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, WA
reviews: 15
Safari Park with children - do you need a safari add on

We are headed to San Diego next week, and I am trying to make heads or tails of the San Diego Safari park web sight. It is difficult to discern if it is worth attending for the day with just the entrance fee, or if to enjoy the park, you must also add on a safari.

What do you think? If it is the latter, which add-ons would you recommend for a family with kids aged 4 & 7?

Thanks!

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: Safari Park with children - do you need a safari add on

Do you need an add-on, no. You do get plenty to do with the basic admission, including one tour and shows.

Now, the list of add-ons are interesting, and your family needs to decide if they want to do them, something on the low end like feeding a specific animal, or something more expensive.

It really is your decision if the extras are worth it....

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 62
2. Re: Safari Park with children - do you need a safari add on

I always think it is more fun if you add on one of the special extra safaris but of course you can go without doing that too.

You don't have to decide ahead of time. You can go there and see if you'd like to add anything on once you are there.

How many days are you in San Diego and what else are you considering for your activities? I ask because there might be other activities we could suggest.

Maui, Hawaii
reviews: 18
3. Re: Safari Park with children - do you need a safari add on

Related question: I'll be visiting Los Angeles and San Diego with my 12.5- year-old daughter in mid-March. Is the Safari Park good for that age? Is it good preparation for a safari in Africa?

Any ideas welcome. She's moving out of tomboy and into girly-girl. Last year, Legoland would've been her idea of heaven. This year ... no interest!

Thanks

Seattle, WA
reviews: 15
4. Re: Safari Park with children - do you need a safari add on

Not sure -- we skipped the Safari Park when we realized how long a commute it was going to be from San Diego. The zoo itself I would not recommend -- too crowded, nothing girly about it. Have you considered some of the art and other museums in Balboa Park?

So Cal
reviews: 68
5. Re: Safari Park with children - do you need a safari add on

I don't consider the Safari Park or the Zoo a girly/tomboy issue at all. It's more, does she like looking at animals? As for the Safari Park, is she ok with walking a lot? (The Zoo is more compact, the Safari Park is a lot bigger.)

Escondido...
reviews: 189
6. Re: Safari Park with children - do you need a safari add on

I think if you're going to do the "Safari park" (I'll always think of it as the Wild Animal Park!), you should definitely do it before an African safari, otherwise, you might be disappointed! But, if you like animals and walking, this is a great place to visit and I'd think for that age, it would be a lot of fun. Unless your daughter isn't an animal fan. I personally really enjoy the Safari Park, you can walk up into the botanical gardens with native plants or you can take the tram into the open grounds where animals roam. That's where you get great looks at the rhinos and the giraffes, but lots more, too. If you're going to be in the area, I recommend it.

The Zoo is nice, too. I like them both. At the zoo, you can see the pandas - sort of - and the polar bears, which you won't see at the Safari Park, but the Safari Park is more leisurely to me. There are also some extra activities you can do, like behind the scenes tours, zip lining, etc.

It's definitely good for that age, overall, as long as she expresses interest.

7. Re: Safari Park with children - do you need a safari add on

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, April 30, 2014