We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it possible to WALK the San Diego Wild Animal Park?

Which Escondido hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 9
Is it possible to WALK the San Diego Wild Animal Park?

We lived in SD area in 1979 and took ALL visitors to the WAP. Looking at the website, I wonder whether it is possible to walk the grounds.

Must one take the safari? If so, which are best options for active adults (no kids)? Thanks !

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
1. Re: Is it possible to WALK the San Diego Wild Animal Park?

While parts of the "San Diego Zoo Safari Park" (new name for the Wild Animal Park), there are many parts that you must use the transportation provided.

www.sdzsafaripark.org/planyourtrip/map.html

So Cal
reviews: 64
2. Re: Is it possible to WALK the San Diego Wild Animal Park?

Yes, you can still walk; in fact, I'm sure there are more trails and exhibits than existed back in 1970.

The Africa Tram (included with basic admission) takes you *around* the back of the Africa Plains area (see the map DarkBeer linked). Some of the sub-enclosures back there aren't viewable by foot, while others are but at a greater distance. What you see depends on where the animals feel like hanging out at that particular time. :-) I've always seen something worthwhile.

The extra fee tours mostly take you *through* the great big exhibits. I don't think any of them (other than the backstage tours) go anywhere the trails don't, they just go right into the middle. Well, not the Segway.

I still haven't taken any of the extras, and I love the place. Just bring good shoes and small binoculars.

Escondido...
reviews: 157
3. Re: Is it possible to WALK the San Diego Wild Animal Park?

Wow, thanks Jenazz, I hadn't realized that they finally put on their smart hat and included the tram ride with the basic ticket. That was crazy having to pay extra for it.

NYC Family, Jenazz is right that you can see SOME of the animals kept in the safari enclosure if you walk out to the end of Africa or maybe even up from the Tiger Territory and sometimes from some of the other areas, but most of those sightings will be from a distance, but there is a ton of other things you can see while walking. You walk to the elephants and the lions and there is a nice trail that goes u to the botanical gardens and also u to the condors and tigers. Plenty of things to see and do on foot without riding the tram. However, the tram is now included in your ticket price apparently, so it's totally worth getting off your feet for 45 minutes or so to ride around the exterior of the plains and see the big guys like the rhinos and giraffes. Have fun! You just reminded me that I haven't been there for about a year and it's time to go back!

New York
reviews: 9
4. Re: Is it possible to WALK the San Diego Wild Animal Park?

Friends, Thanks for your feedback. We will definitely go now that I am assured we can see a lot of animals by foot.

BTW, I forgot I posted this query in Escondido and re-posted it in a San Diego forum. Trip Advisor should find a way to connect these discussions about the same attraction.

5. Re: Is it possible to WALK the San Diego Wild Animal Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, September 16, 2014