We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days north of SF on the coast

Which Elk hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Flower Mound, TX
reviews: 33
3 days north of SF on the coast

50th birthday- flying into San Francisco- going north up the coast,last weekend of October.

Where can I stay and hear the waves at night while I'm sleeping?

What are the best inns for ocean views, sounds,smells.

Best stops along the way...

3 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: 3 days north of SF on the coast

Hello there,

We would need some further info to suggest places as prices vary. The best area up the North Coast would be to go start at Point Reyes and then go up to Bodega Bay, Jenner and to Mendocino.

If it is just for a weekend then perhaps Bodega Bay to Jenner would be a great place to visit and drive to. Have a look at hotels and Inns at Bodega Bay and also have a look at Timbercove Inn further north.

You may want to look at the Sonoma forum as well as that is the county that you may end up in.

Edited: 9:24 pm, September 18, 2011
Flower Mound, TX
reviews: 33
2. Re: 3 days north of SF on the coast

Thank you. That narrows it down a little.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 5
3. Re: 3 days north of SF on the coast

I have absolutely no hesitation in my recommendation.

The Timber Cove inn is 90 miles north of San Francisco. Getting there you also have a wonderful 13 miles of coast, rivaling Big Sur

It is isolated....no towns or restaurants around, except the restaurant at the Inn,. Only the gorgeous ocean views.

It was built in the 1960's by an architect who also developed 800 acres of coast and forest in a responsible way with minimum property sizes and strict rules on building, etc. etc. When there you are hardly aware that there is actually a community of property owners who live there.

It is built on the bluffs, so you definitely hear and see the waves and can walk on the bluff as well to watch them. Get an oceanfront room.

This is one of my favorite places in the world.

http://www.timbercoveinn.com/

(Wait for the pictures of the slide show to change.)

I prefer not to drive all the way up Highway 1 from San Francisco because from before Tomales Bay the road goes inland almost to Bodega Bay, and the road is slow and not on the coast. Of course you are missing Point Reyes National Seashore, but that is not a "drop by" kind of place...you need at *least* half a day. (63,000 acres)

I like to drive up Hwy 101 to Petaluma, take the East Washington St.exit, and drive straight through town, which puts me on the Bodega Highway, 26 miles of pastoral country from Bodega Bay. Bodega Bay is where Alfred Hitchcock filmed parts of "The Birds".

Ask for directions to drive out on Bodega Head for good ocean views. See if you can find the huge hole they dug there in the 1960's to build a nuclear power plant. It was stopped by an immense public outcry to remind those in charge that it was being built on an earthquake fault. I think the "hole" is still there and the locals call it "The Hole in the Head".

After Bodega Bay you will pass several State Beaches in the next 10 miles. if you drive down to the last one, Goat Rock, you can watch the Russian River enter the Pacific Ocean.

When you come back on Hwy 1 you will cross the Russian River. Turn left for Jenner, and you are now on your way to a gorgeous drive up the coast.

Fort Ross State Historical Park is 10 miles up. This was a Russian out post in the early 1800's for the purposes of both trading in sea otter furs and keeping their interests in the New World.

It is a great photo op, especially the little wooden Russian Orthodox Chapel. Unfortunately, due to state budget cuts it may now be open only on weekends.

rrparks.mcn.org/fortross/recent%20photos.htm

You are now three miles from the Timber Cove Inn.

Happy birthday.

Edited: 12:25 am, September 20, 2011
Reply to: 3 days north of SF on the coast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Elk
Recent Conversations
More Elk Topics