We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Hacienda

Which El Segundo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
reviews: 14
Hotel Hacienda

Hi - We're staying here in June at the end of a western US tour - and our travel agent isnt willing to change out hotel from this one without a hefty extra fee.

I've read some of the reviews, and wow. It seems pot luck as to if you're going to get a room thats terrible, or a room thats great.

The only tour our agents arranged thats going to be picked up from the hacienda is a simple LA tour, on the first day. We're scheduled to spend 3 nights total here. Aside from the first days tour, we're free to do what we like, as long as we get back to the airport on the final day.

We're going to visit Universal studios one day, and generally, we'll want to be be out and about as much as possible.

Im just wondering, am I stressing too much? Is this hotel that bad? I really don't want to have to complain during any part of our trip - I am reasonable but I do make a point of making a complaint where something is definately wrong - but doing so will likely sour a very expensive trip.

8 replies to this topic
california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 137
1. Re: Hotel Hacienda

This is a stupid location to put you in for general touring. I assume you got a cheap package tour and this is the price you pay.

As far as gettiing a good room why not email the hotel directly and explain the concern, adding whatever qualities you consider necessary. There are over 600 rooms in three towers. Or when you get there, ask to see the room first before accepting the room assigned, and pay an upgrade fee directly to the hotel for a better room if one isn't offered. There are over 600 rooms at that hotel so I'm sure that you can find something okay, especially if you are arriving earlier in the day, or tell them that you will switch rooms the next day if not much is available when you arrive (highly unlikely).

www.haciendahotel.com

Will you have a car? If not there is a car rental outfit on site for day trips.

Laguna Beach, CA
reviews: 13
2. Re: Hotel Hacienda

The hotel itself isn't bad, but the location is terrible for doing the typical LA tourist bit. That is one reason I'd never use a UK travel agent to make arrangements in most parts of the US, especially in CA & HI, they seem to place people in really bad locations that I assume pay really good commissions to the travel agents.

There are so many sources of information on the Internet these days and so many pricing tools, I can't imagine why anyone uses a travel agent any more.

I would push back on the agent, not just because of the hotels reputation that you see spotty reviews on, but its very poor location for touring in the Los Angeles area.

If you still can not, eh okay, the hotel itself won't effect your trip, but the location could.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 20
3. Re: Hotel Hacienda

The Hacienda is a MAJOR hotel for flight crews overnighting. If you go to the bar in the hotel there is about a 100% chance you will be chatting with a flight attendant or pilot.

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 14
4. Re: Hotel Hacienda

It wasn't exactly cheap - and the brochure did say we would stay at the four points by Sheraton. I didn't realize about the hacienda till I got home and did some reading.

I don't mind that it's one for flight crews etc as we won't be going to the hotel bar. If the location sucks this will be a pain.

Also we didn't book ourselves as it was working out to be a major hassle when I didn't want the stress of driving and we wanted to visit 3 places. The flights were a nightmare, ones I searched always had transfers and weren't direct.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
5. Re: Hotel Hacienda

I know many people who stay at the Hacienda Hotel, the night before a flight. It's great that they have 24/7 shuttle service..

Are you renting a car for your other days? The freeway is just blocks from the Hacienda for getting to other touring spots.

I saw one of the Hacienda shuttles today at Manhattan Beach, picking up and dropping off guests of their hotel. The MB Mall with two Macy's, and 80 stores, is just south. You get 11% off your purchases, including sale items by showing your passport.

www.youtube.com/watch…

Manhattan Beach...
reviews: 46
6. Re: Hotel Hacienda

The Hacienda is doing a major renovation in the Fall. I think that the mixed reviews are because they have rooms from different eras, so people end up with different experiences depending on which section they stay in. It generally gets high marks for value and it is used by a lot of airlines. A decade ago I spent two weeks there and my only thought was that the room was older and oddly laid out. Within the past year I've had a co-worker spend a week there without complaint, but when given the choice most co-workers opt for the other El Segundo hotels for business travelers. As previously noted, they do have free and frequent shuttle service to the airport and there is a shuttle service to shopping and the beach. The neighborhood is also OK and a lot better than where the traditional LAX hotels are on Century Blvd.

Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 50
7. Re: Hotel Hacienda

Here's the thing:

If you're going to be hiring a car, then the Hacienda is workable. If not, it will be a pain to stay there. Here are the public transit directions from the hotel to Universal for a weekday morning:

https://goo.gl/maps/o26sd

It's actually a FIVE-PART transfer: Here's a recap but the map above has more detail:

a. Walk to the next northbound intersection: 1 minute.

b. Take a short bus ride to the green line metro rail station

c. Take the green line metro rail

d. Transfer to the blue line metro rail

e. Transfer to the red line metro rail to the Universal City Station.

f. (Not shown on the map), cross to the south side of Lankershim Bl and walk 50 m to the 'tram stop'. Wait for and ride the free tram 'up the hill' to the Park (or walk up the hill -- I hope you're in shape!) -- another 10 to 15 minutes.

So, the ONE WAY transfer to Universal will take 2 hours involving a bus, 3 metro rail trains and a free tram (and some walking). If you told your travel agent that you planned to visit Universal and the rest of L.A., he/she should not have put you in an airport hotel, let alone one in El Segundo which is south of the airport (even further from 'the city' than the airport itself).

An alternate route which might save you a few minutes and will be less complicated is as follows:

a. Take the hotel's free shuttle to LAX

b. Take the Union Station Flyaway Bus from LAX to Union (rail) Station in downtown L.A. This bus runs every 30 minutes and takes between 35 minutes and 70 minutes to reach downtown, depending on the time of day. (Weekends have the least traffic!)

c. Take the red line to Universal City and the free tram to the Park.

If it were me, however, I'd make some noise and see if you can change your hotel. If the package included the LAX sheraton, see if they can switch you to the downtown Sheraton. This way, when you land at LAX, you'll take the flyaway into downtown (to the rail station) followed by a short red line ride or taxi ride to the Sheraton.

Then, for Universal, you'll get on the red line (the Sheraton is built on top of the 7th St/Metro Center metro rail station) and 20 minutes later, you'll be at Universal City station. (You'll pass through Hollywood on the way so you can stop in either direction -- or on another day -- and explore the city from there. Lots of tour buses leave from Hollywood (and from the Sheraton) and Hollywood is a major public transit hub. There are also a number of stops for Starline's Hop On, Hop Off tour bus that stop in Hollywood (and downtown and in a number of places).

Even if you have to pay a 'change fee', it would be worth it to stay IN Los Angeles whilst visiting Los Angeles!

Good luck!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
8. Re: Hotel Hacienda

The Original Post is from Nov. 2012. Don't know where it was dug up from, but the trip is over.

I hate when that happens!

Reply to: Hotel Hacienda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted