We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what's El Segundo REALLY like?

Which El Segundo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
2hounddogs
reviews: 37
what's El Segundo REALLY like?

I know this is supposed to be a forum for travelers, but there's a chance we may be relocating from Denver, CO to El Segundo. I'm having a hard time getting a real feel for the area via the internet though. Are there any locals here who can tell me a little about the place? Denver's super casual and laid-back. Will we fit in with El Segundo? And is it a dog-friendly city? I know we'll get to visit before making a decision, but I just like to get as much info from objective sources as I can.

Thanks so much!

8 replies to this topic
los angeles
1. Re: what's El Segundo REALLY like?

El Segundo is an interesting small town with 2 distinct personalities. Sepulveda Blvd is the major north south street that also separates the 2 parts of town.

To the east of Sepulveda Blvd is the commercial and industrial part of town. There are a number of low rise office buildings along Sepulveda and a complex with 3 high rises in that area. Many airlines have their local offices in this area, Mattel's headquarters, Rhythm & Hues and many aerospace companies are located here. This area is also served by bus lines and the green line light rail system.

To the west of Sepulveda is primarily residential and retail services for local residents. This part of El Segundo is great; its close to the beach, has a small town feel (even has a Main Street that could be plucked out of the midwest). In many ways the residential area is ideal because its on the beach and is more affordable than other westside areas.

One of the biggest downsides of El Segundo is that in addition to the residential neighborhoods, along the beach there are several large industrial plants, the Chevron refinery, LA DWP electrical power generating plant and the LA DWP wastewater treatment plant.

Want to know more? PM me.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
reviews: 55
2. Re: what's El Segundo REALLY like?

You can probably google 'el segundo' for the background but briefly, when Standard Oil of California (now Chevron) decided to set up a refinery in this area, they needed to 'build a town' for the workers to live in. They had one other such town already so, since this would be the second one, they came up with the name "El Segundo" (the second, in Spanish). Much of the city is still 'small town-like'. I go to my dentist there and it truly feels like walking into a midwestern town in the 60s. It is surrounded by lots of contrasts:

1. To the north is LAX

2. To the west is the Pacific but the beach there is more for RVs (it's one of the few places in the L.A. area that allows these vehicles to park overnight). In addition, it's a bit of a walk from El Segundo to this beach which involves, among other things, crossing busy Vista del Mar and trekking down the entrance driveway to the parking area adjacent to the beach. (Google 'Dockweiler Beach State Park' for info about this beach). Lastly, it's not a very desirable beach since it's surrounded by the flight path of LAX to the north and two electric company plants to the south.

3. To the south is the beginning of the 'south bay' -- the beach towns of Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, etc. Here, you'll find the true southern california 'beach town' feel with barefooted surfers carrying their surfboards to/from the beach and homes 'squashed together' along the boardwalk. The 'tree section' of Manhattan Beach has the most expensive homes per sq ft of any neighborhood in California.

4. To the east is a commercial corridor with malls, a driving range and high-rise office buildings.

So, a lot of contrasts. I've been selling real estate for 25+ years so if you need any info, send me a private message.

So. Cal
reviews: 18
3. Re: what's El Segundo REALLY like?

I'm sure after you visit it will be very easy to see if you fit.

Dog friendly? I wouldn't take ours.

So. Cal
reviews: 18
4. Re: what's El Segundo REALLY like?

I'm sure after you visit it will be very easy to see if you fit.

Dog friendly? I wouldn't take ours.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
reviews: 3
5. Re: what's El Segundo REALLY like?

Any chance you'll be connected with the Air Force Base in El Segundo? That's where my husband and I met over 45 years ago, though not military. Lots of people from Denver and Colorado Springs move to ES connected to the Air Force or LAX.

People living in El Segundo call it "Mayberry USA", and it's a neat town to live in, that's affordable along the coast. They just had a great city July 4th celebration, with picnics, pie eating contests and one of the few cities that sponsors a Firework display. They have concerts in the park, festivals, and every Thursday afternoon a Farmer's Market on Main Street.

elsegundo.org/civica/inc/displayblobpdf2.asp…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0xgnhQyrC0

I'm there all the time as we have many friends living there, we love the restaurants in "old town", and people are friendly, out walking their dogs for coffee on weekends, wearing flip flops and shorts to the cafes or parks. There are block parties, and BBQs among neighbors.

Contact Bill Ruane with ReMax with the most listings in town. You'll find cute bungalows on tree lined streets, mid century homes and newer homes all mixed together.

www.remax.com/homes-for-sale/CA/El_Segundo/

We like going to Second City Bistor or Delucca's for dinner with friends.

http://www.secondcitybistro.com/

http://www.delucapasta.com/

However, over on the Rosecrans Ave. side is a big theater complex, and many excellent restaurants.

On Sepulveda Blvd. is an really large Ralph's Grocery Market, Starbucks, etc, but people also drive a couple miles to Manhattan Beach to go to Bristol Farms Grocery or the Trader Joe's. There is the brand new Plaza El Segundo Plaza with many shops.

http://www.plazaelsegundo.com/

Let me know if you have any more questions about El Segundo. Even though I live next door in Manhattan Beach, I think I can be of help.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 170
6. Re: what's El Segundo REALLY like?

RE the dog question. The lots are kind of small in El Segundo and most other beach communities. So if you have a big active dog, then maybe not the best. But for a couch potato dog or a little one, it will be fine, assuming you are buying and not renting.

2hounddogs
reviews: 37
7. Re: what's El Segundo REALLY like?

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the replies. This is all great info and I appreciate you taking the time to help me learn a little bit about the area. If everyone around there is as nice as the TripAdvisor folks, I think I could like living there!!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 378
8. Re: what's El Segundo REALLY like?

Google 422 Main Street, El Segundo, CA 90245-3002 and go to Street View in Google Maps. Look at El Segundo High School in Google Maps Street View. You have probably seen the high school in a dozen movies or TV shows or more because it has that quintessential Midwestern or Eastern school look.

I love downtown El Segundo, it is small town America epitomized.

Reply to: what's El Segundo REALLY like?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted