We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Date night with hubby- laid back, special-- need suggestions

Which Del Mar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 5
Date night with hubby- laid back, special-- need suggestions

My husband and I are traveling to Del Mar for a week in August (race track season) with our two young kids (2 1/2 and 4 1/2 years old). We have a baby sitter for one evening away just the two of us and we are looking for recommendations on where to go.

Seeking somewhere laid back but still special (a view of the ocean would be nice) and preferably eat outdoors. We love good wine, light food... not seeking a $$$$ 5-star meal. Also want to stay close to Del Mar.

I read online about the wine bar/happy hour at Enoteca Del Fornaio... this sounds like the type of place I am seeking... is this also part of Il Fornaio or am I getting that confused?

Any other suggestions even in nearby cities? Thanks in advance!

Redlands, California
reviews: 29
1. Re: Date night with hubby- laid back, special-- need suggestions

There is outdoor dining at Il Fornaio--I thought the Enoteca was at ground level, but I could be wrong. You might look at Sbicca, which has an outdoor terrace and is not a chain; I haven't been there in a few years but the reviews still seem pretty good. I know there are some other possibilities and hopefully someone who has tried them will chime in.

I think the best food in the area is The Pamplemousse, right across from the track on Via Del Valle, but it is expensive. And no view, alas.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
2. Re: Date night with hubby- laid back, special-- need suggestions

I just had lunch today at Sbicca's ... it's one place I never miss hitting when I'm down this way.

Food is excellent yet reasonably priced (for a San Franciscan). There is an upstairs partially enclosed patio with an ocean (not beach) view.

If you want to be right on the beach try The Beach House in Cardiff. Food is acceptable but the location is fabulous.

During racing season be sure to have reservations.

So. Cal
reviews: 20
3. Re: Date night with hubby- laid back, special-- need suggestions

The Beach House has Early Dinner specials. Take a look at their menu. For the price and location it's a pretty good deal. As Sal mentions, it's not a foodie destination but lobster and an oceanfront patio for $25.00? I'll take it!

Redlands, California
reviews: 29
4. Re: Date night with hubby- laid back, special-- need suggestions

I've been by the Beach House frequently on my visits to Del Mar--might give it a try this summer! thanks for the info from me too.

Dallas, Texas
5. Re: Date night with hubby- laid back, special-- need suggestions

Thank you everyone! Definitely trying to make reservations early since it's racing season. I appreciate the recommendations. I'll look up The Beach House and Sbicca's. After some further research, it seems like Enoteca Del Fornaio is on the roof of Il Fornaio's. Pics on Yel p look nice. http://www.yelp(dot)com /biz/enoteca-del-fornaio-del-mar. Can't find much info on this place on Trip Advisor though. Anyone been to Fisherman's on the Pier in San Clemente? I hear that is supposed to be similar to The Beach House.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
6. Re: Date night with hubby- laid back, special-- need suggestions

We've been to the restaurant on the pier in San Clemente. It was very nice but why drive that far?

Dallas, Texas
7. Re: Date night with hubby- laid back, special-- need suggestions

Thanks Riff. Honestly I don't know the geography well and didn't even look up the mileage between Del Mar and San Clemente.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 59
8. Re: Date night with hubby- laid back, special-- need suggestions

Well, in terms of Texas and driving distances it is not really THAT far but I just meant why bother if there are restaurants that are just as good that are closer.

San Clemente is in the next county to the north,Orange County, and to get there won't take more than 40min. or so(maybe less)depending on traffic but I just don't see the point of it.

You will be passing by all the places that have already been suggested to get there.

Dallas, Texas
9. Re: Date night with hubby- laid back, special-- need suggestions

I agree completely. We'd much rather stay close to home. Thank you!

10. Re: Date night with hubby- laid back, special-- need suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:15 pm, March 06, 2014