We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights in Orange County

Which Dana Point hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
buckinghamshire
reviews: 31
6 nights in Orange County

I have 6 nights to spend in OC as I drive up from San Diego to Los Angeles to fly back to the UK. I'm not sure if it's best to stay in one place and drive around where I want to visit or just stay a night or two in the places that I want to visit ( I do have a car) Want to visit Laguna/Newport/Huntington beaches and an afternoon in Beverly Hills before I leave the US. All comments appreciated :)

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 144
1. Re: 6 nights in Orange County

We're happy to assist you but please tell us a little more about what activities you enjoy, your budget, what you'd like to do and see, etc. so we give you appropriate recommendations.

I'm assuming you'll have a car since you said you would "drive around." (?)

San Diego is only one hour by car from Laguna Beach. Laguna Beach, Newport Beach and Huntington Beach are adjacent communities, accessible to and from each other in a few minutes. Since your profile indicates you area young male, you might enjoy staying in Huntington Beach that has a lot of night-life, as well as a great beach with surfing and water sports.

If you are leaving from LAX, you can postpone Beverly Hills to the day of or day before you leave and stay near the airport the night before your flight. However, I would think you'd be bored by BH and would enjoy Hollywood more.

buckinghamshire
2. Re: 6 nights in Orange County

Thanks for the prompt response. I have been to Hollywood x2 before so don't really want to go back again. I'm really looking for a beach type vacation to relax and maybe do some water based activities during the day, and good restaurants and bars to visit in the evening (although by no means essential) I do have a car but have heard parking can be quite tricky around the beaches, and ended up getting 2 parking tickets during my last trip

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
3. Re: 6 nights in Orange County

I suggest Huntington Beach as it offers the water based activities and an active nightlife. You can drive to Newport Beach and Laguna Beach for high end dining. There are also some good bars in Corona del Mar (south Newport Beach) and Laguna that you might enjoy. Parking is not difficult in Huntington Beach. You can park in the beach lots that almost never fill up for $15 per day or at meters for $1.50 per hour. Just be sure to pay the meters. Credit cards work in most of the meters now. Laguna Beach meters also take credit cards and the rate is $1 to $2 per hour depending on the location. Parking in Newport Beach can be difficult or not but if you park in designated meter spaces or lots you shouldn't have problem. Most restaurants in Newport Beach have parking available.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 342
4. Re: 6 nights in Orange County

I think Laguna Beach and Huntington Beach are the areas that are easiest to stay and walk around to bars and restaurants and Newport Beach near the Newport Pier to a lesser extent. Newport is split into distinct areas because of the bay/harbor and therefore more spread out.

buckinghamshire
5. Re: 6 nights in Orange County

What about Dana Point? I do like the look of the Ritz Carlton and the 'club facilities' but not sure if the location is ideal for visiting the areas I want to see

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
6. Re: 6 nights in Orange County

Dana Point is south of Laguna Beach, almost an hour from Huntington Beach. While the Ritz Carlton is a beautiful hotel, it is not favored by young people as they cater to an older clientele and families. It's your "grandparents' hotel." There is not much night life in town. You would have to go up to Laguna Beach or south to San Clemente.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 342
7. Re: 6 nights in Orange County

If you are looking at Ritz Carlton level properties, I'd look at the Hyatt Regency in HB & the Waterfront Hilton.

There is nothing in Downtown Laguna Beach at that level of luxury, but the Inn at Laguna Beach is nice and has a great location.

The two nicest hotels in Newport Beach in what I will call a "practical location" are the Marriott Newport Beach and The Island Hotel Newport Beach, both in Newport Center/Fashion Island. The Resort at Pelican Hill is a great resort, but nothing is walkable, you have to get in the car to do everything off property.

Seattle, WA
reviews: 18
8. Re: 6 nights in Orange County

You could try Montage in Laguna Beach. It is a few miles south but they have a handy shuttle into the main part of Laguna Beach, which is great. Montage is on par or close to the Ritz is amenities.

Huntington Beach is also great and the Hyatt is nice.

Both areas are pretty compact with lots of restaurants and bars. Laguna is a little higher end with Huntington having more singles life and the much bigger beach.

9. Re: 6 nights in Orange County

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 24, 2014