We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for transportation from ferry to san diego

Which Dana Point hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middlebury...
looking for transportation from ferry to san diego

Will be coming in from Catalina on ferry and am looking for transportation to Manchester Hyatt on Market St. Can not afford to do private car hire at $120. Yipes. Will be still on mend from surgery so can't lug suitcase too far even if on wheels. Thanks for any help.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 9
1. Re: looking for transportation from ferry to san diego

There is an Amtrak train station in San Juan Capistrano, not too far from the harbor (short taxi ride). Ends up right in downtown San Diego.

www.amtrak.com

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 344
2. Re: looking for transportation from ferry to san diego

Take a cab to the San Juan Amtrak station and get off at Santa Fe Station and cab to the Manchester Grand Hyatt.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
reviews: 13
3. Re: looking for transportation from ferry to san diego

Alas, there is no Checked Luggage at any nearby Station for Amtrak, the nearest are Santa Ana and Oceanside. So if the OP needs assistance, she might be better offer with someone who will deal with the luggage, such as a shuttle van/towncar.

Maybe split the difference, a town car to Oceanside, and then a transfer to Amtrak. Followed by a short cab ride, but then, maybe the private hire is easier.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 9
4. Re: looking for transportation from ferry to san diego

How much luggage?

Depending on travel days and time of day, Metrolink also goes to Oceanside. Then either the Coaster or Amtrak.

Not sure how much they let you take on the commuter trains though. People bring bikes on there.

laguna niguel, ca
Destination Expert
for Honolulu
reviews: 12
5. Re: looking for transportation from ferry to san diego

you can bring luggage on amtrak, they have storage racks on every car

Middlebury...
6. Re: looking for transportation from ferry to san diego

Thank yu so much for all the info. Simplest seems to be to take cab from dock to train station San Juan . Scott your directions seem pretty straight forward. Thanks everyone. Hope I can work this out.

Dana Point...
reviews: 4
7. Re: looking for transportation from ferry to san diego

I agree with the posters about taking the Amtrak. I'd also add that when you ticket your journey, call (instead of online) and tell the rep that you will need disability assistance. They then will have a little extra time to help you board (the San Juan Cap station is a quick on-off station).

BETTER YET, spend the extra $15 and ride in the Business Class section. You get extra service in that car (free beverage, and for the cost of the food, they'll bring you something from the snack car [you may have to specifically ask]). The seats and seating arrangement will be a lot more comfortable. If you do choose this option, you will board the train car that is closest to the forward engine (it will stop close to the parking garage). If you travel regular class, you will board toward the rear engine (down the "platform" closer to the restaurants). I live in Dana Point and my mom takes this trip all the time!

Middlebury...
8. Re: looking for transportation from ferry to san diego

Thanks so much TwoDocs for the great advice. I'll have to check if there is assistance getting off in SanDiego as well. I really appreciate your auggestions and advice.

Dana Point...
reviews: 4
9. Re: looking for transportation from ferry to san diego

When you get off the train in San Diego, the train is at its last stop before heading north for the next round trip, so you will have more time to get off. Again, when you ticket, let them know you will need assistance disembarking, or simply inform the conductor (?) in your car (again, better off in Business Class). FYI, your cab ride from the train station to the Manchester Hyatt is just a couple of minutes. Have a great time in San Diego!

Edited: 3:11 pm, August 05, 2013
Middlebury...
10. Re: looking for transportation from ferry to san diego

Thanks again.. Someone earlier mentioned the Santa Fe station but now I know its the last station. If space available I will be taking business class. All your points are well taken. Will coordinate ferry with train. One more double question, how long a ride between ferry dock and train station and are cabs always available at dock?

Ps. If you ever plan a trip to CT I'l be glad to help.