We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Strand Beach vs Salt Creek Beach

Which Dana Point hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 27
The Strand Beach vs Salt Creek Beach

Are these the same or different beach areas? Some of the info I read seems to refer to these interchangeably but then I read that there is a fee for Salt Creek. If separate, is there beach/trail access between them? Thanks for the clarification.

laguna niguel, ca
Destination Expert
for Honolulu
reviews: 12
1. Re: The Strand Beach vs Salt Creek Beach

They are separated by this rocky point, and on top of the point is the Ritz Carlton.I think you can walk arond but it would be rock jumping, not a path. Salt Creek is on the main highway so it gets a lot more people, it is a very popular beach. Most people do not know the strand exists. There are a lot of beaches in the area like that. Look up 1000 steps or Crescent beach, beautiful places but if you don't live here you would never know they are there.

Both salt creek and strands are on big cliffs so it is a hike down to the water.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 27
2. Re: The Strand Beach vs Salt Creek Beach

Thank you for the clarification! It sounds like we will have plenty of beach options during our stay. I prefer the quiet ones but my son might enjoy more action.

Palm Springs Area
reviews: 10
3. Re: The Strand Beach vs Salt Creek Beach

Ewww...think I'll be going to the Strand area...

http://brc.healthebay.org/?st=CA&f=1

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 352
4. Re: The Strand Beach vs Salt Creek Beach

The only fees for state/county/city beaches are parking fees. Salt Creek has facilities, The Strand doesn't.

Not sure what DebLV is talking about since Salt Creek has a double A+ rating from Heal the Bay.

Palm Springs Area
5. Re: The Strand Beach vs Salt Creek Beach

If you look at the report, Doheny beach gets an F.

Edited: 2:55 pm, April 20, 2012
So. Cal
reviews: 18
6. Re: The Strand Beach vs Salt Creek Beach

Deb~

Doheny Beach is NOT The Strand OR Salt Creek.

I certainly would NOT go swimming in F rated water!

However, Doheny Beach always has people swimming, including surfers who ARE the ones who are politically active in Heal The Bay. Then again, surfers will do just about anything for a wave!

I don't cook myself so I don't need a dip at ANY beach. If you're that concerned drive over to The Strands or Salt Creek- they're more scenic anyway. That's where we go on a glorious day, even then, it's with an umbrella. :)

Relax, Have fun & Enjoy! Or at least wait until you get HERE to start worrying.;)

After your trip I'll have to tell you a story about one of our stays at the Marriott while we were house hunting before we relocated. THAT would be EEEEWWW. lol

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
reviews: 352
7. Re: The Strand Beach vs Salt Creek Beach

That F rating is for Doheney, not The Strand, not Salt Creek.

Doheney gets low grades because of the creek that empties out there. My father and his octogenarian buddies surf Doho 3 days a week and have lived to tell the tale.

Palm Springs Area
8. Re: The Strand Beach vs Salt Creek Beach

scottca - I think I was misunderstood - I posted that I would BE going to the Strand, passing up Doheny. Just my personal choice. And i'm not too concerned to worry...I just came upon the information while researching the area, and I found it startling because I wouldn't have expected it. Most all other beaches along the coast have a great cleanliness rating; that's why I posted it.

beachbum - I totally plan on having a fabulous time! Breakfast at RC, going biking, and soaking up all the glory of the coast that we can before heading back to the oppressive heat of the desert. And I HAVE to hear your Marriott story! LOL

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
reviews: 146
9. Re: The Strand Beach vs Salt Creek Beach

Doheny Beach is just down coast from San Juan Creek, which serves as a flood control channel for the region. All the residential fertilizers and other pollutants funnel right down to the beach. No surprise it gets an "F." There is no way to keep it clean. It is especially important to stay away from there after it rains.

Palm Springs Area
10. Re: The Strand Beach vs Salt Creek Beach

Yes, I saw that the "wet" season was worse. The more I read about it, I found that it has been an issue for some time. That's a shame, because it's such an ideal spot.