We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern California

Which Dana Point hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rock Hill, SC
reviews: 18
Southern California

My husband and I are planning a trip to Southern California. We want to see LA and San Diego and everything in-between. Would Dana Point be a good place to stay? It looks like it is half-way between LA and San Diego. I thought if we could fly in and out of John Wayne and just drive everyday to the places we want to visit from Dana Point.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
1. Re: Southern California

I am sorry but I don't think it is a very good idea. Flying into John Wayne is just fine , BUT you will b every unhappy with the traffic you will face every day if you stay in Dana Point and try to drive everywhere.(LA&SD).

I actually like Dana Point as we have stayed there several times for weekend getaways. I think though,if you have at least a week,(of course 10 days would be better but...)then you should spend perhaps 3 full days somewhere in LA ,then take a drive south stopping at beach towns along the way including Laguna Beach down to San Diego for another 3 days. then ,depending on what time your flight is to go home ,either spend the night before up in Dana Point OR if the plane is late afternoon just stay in San Diego and drive up to the airport from there stopping at sights along the way.

IF you have less than 1 week then I"d pick either LA or SD) and you know which I'd pick)+ Dana Point and the beach communities nearby.

Without traffic the drive from SanDiego to John Wayne should be a bit over an hour-1 1/2 BUT there is always traffic.

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
reviews: 23
2. Re: Southern California

Flying into John Wayne airport is a no-brainer. Don't fly into LAX. John Wayne is so easy to do.

Because of the high volume of traffic and the distance between LA and San Diego from Orange County (Dana Point) I would do like Riffsmom says and stay a couple nights at each place as they are all very different from each other.

I would fly into John Wayne and do all the beach cities in Orange County. If you wanted to see a couple things in LA, I would even drive from Orange County to LA to see them because the freeways do lighten up after rush hour. But I would stay in San Diego than do THAT commute. That freeway to SD has fewer lanes and it seems no matter what time of day it is...there is always stop and go traffic. Plus, you have to deal with the tourist jamming the freeway when going to or leaving Mexico as well.

Rock Hill, SC
reviews: 18
3. Re: Southern California

Thanks for the suggestions. My original plan was to fly into LA and stay a few days then drive to San Diego for a few days and fly out of San Diego. I thought that maybe a midpoint place to stay might be better, but sounds like my original plan is better. I was not aware that the trafic would be so bad. Shoud I consider not using the LA airport? Also, any suggestions on hotels in ether place?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
4. Re: Southern California

I'd be happy to help you with hotels in San Diego. When are you coming?What is your price range? What type do you enjoy most ie large highrise hotels,smaller boutique hotels, lowrise motel types,1 room/suites? If you tell us a little about your likes and dislikes we can help you more easily,

Huntington Beach
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach
reviews: 23
5. Re: Southern California

Blue Lantern Inn in Dana Point was just voted as the #1 Bed and Breakfast Inn in Orange County. I do have a couple photos of it in my profile. It is high up on a bluff overlooking the Dana Point Harbour.

6. Re: Southern California

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, September 10, 2009