We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Year's Eve for 20 year olds?

Which Coronado hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nebraska
reviews: 40
New Year's Eve for 20 year olds?

I posted this on the San Diego forum but thought I'd post it here as well . Zed1958, you were so helpful on an earlier question--hopefully you see this!

In what's probably one of our last family vacations before adding spouses, my husband and I, plus our 23 year old son and 20 year old daughter, are renting a house in Coronado for a week over New Year's. I'm trying to figure out something fun to do for New Year's Eve--so many events are geared at +21 only (not that we'd go clubbing anyhow).

Any thoughts or suggestions? I've heard good things about Chez Loma on Coronado but just going out to dinner and back to the house right after seems a little anti-climatic. Not sure if comedy clubs have any late night events and if so, if they're 21 and over only. As well, I've searched but can't find confirmation that they'll be doing fireworks at midnight--locals, have you heard?

I'd love some suggestions!

Chula Vista...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 102
1. Re: New Year's Eve for 20 year olds?

Hi Tess,

Good to see you again! Bet you're getting excited.

Sadly, I'm not sure that I've come up with any events or venues for you for the under 21 crowd.

I'm also hopeful that there will be fireworks over the bay because it does seem to be advertised on the San Diego CVB site:

sandiego.org/campaigns/…new-years-eve.aspx

I know a couple of years ago, there was a lawsuit that threatened to shut fireworks over the bay down, but we did have them scheduled for the 4th of July this year, so I'm guessing that was resolved some how. (You may recall that the show never really took place as intended--ALL fireworks went off ALL at once, and the show was over in 20 seconds.)

About the only thing that I could think of (which may be kind of lame) is to have a bonfire on the beach (but that will be away from the fireworks). I suspect, though, that to get one of the fire rings, you may have to camp out early in the afternoon/evening, as I believe they are first-come, first-served.

coronado.ca.us/category/subcategory.php…

Surprisingly, I've seen local grocery stores carry bundles of wood that you could purchase.

I'll try to dig around some more and see what I come up with, but it will have to be in a couple of weeks (I'm off to check out the Christmas Markets in Germany and Vienna tomorrow!).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Zed

2. Re: New Year's Eve for 20 year olds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 26, 2013