We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying on Coronado - need a car?

Which Coronado hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Staying on Coronado - need a car?

So, we are staying at the Del...would like to go into the city to take the old town trolly, see the Gaslamp area, and check out Balboa park and the baseball park...do we need a car or can we easily take the ferry over in order do these things either on foot, bike or via the trolley? Thanks!

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 2,682
1. Re: Staying on Coronado - need a car?

Here's a good web site on getting around Coronado

coronadovisitorcenter.com/CVC/Transportation…

We have stayed at the Del numerous times. We generally rent a car as it leaves us a bit more flexible to spend a late night out in Gaslamp District (note the ferry hours end earlier) and to get us to La Jolla area.

However, if you just plan to see the things you want to during the day, you can easily do it without renting a car. We have walked from the downtown Ferry location in San Diego to Gaslamp, ball park, etc. It is also close to San Diego Trolley to get to Zoo, etc.

Biking Coronado is easy to do....and the Del does have bike rentals.

www.hoteldel.com/activities-and-beach.aspx

So given what you want to do and if you plan to do, you can get around without a car.

Just realize the ferry is on the opposite side of Coronado Island from the Del - they do have taxis also to get you around.

Edited: 6:08 pm, June 14, 2012
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 62
2. Re: Staying on Coronado - need a car?

The Hop on Hop off tour has a stop right near the Del so you don't need to go into the city to get onto it.

See:www.trolleytours.com

That is NOT the same as our lightrail electric train that we also call "the trolley"

The lightrail does not go to Balboa Park..

The hop on hop off bus goes to Balboa Park, the zoo, downtown etc. but you can use a normal city bus to get to those places at a much lower cost.

There is a bus that goes from the Del to the ferry landing .

There is a bus that goes from the Del across the bridge into downtown.

The concierge at the hotel can give you all the specific directions.

It is easy to use the bus. It costs $5 for an all day ticket.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
3. Re: Staying on Coronado - need a car?

The 901 bus will get you around. Also, for variety you can get to the Ferry Landing on the bus (or taxi) and from there take the Ferry to Downtown SD and you wouldn't need a car. From there you can take a bus, taxi or lightrail Trolley to where you want to go.

http://www.sdhe.com/san-diego-bay-ferry.html

http://www.sdmts.com/mtscr/Route.aspx?r=901

http://www.sdmts.com/home1.asp?from=mobile

Chula Vista...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 102
4. Re: Staying on Coronado - need a car?

One thing to consider in your decision is the cost of parking at the Hotel Del.

You may want to confirm with the hotel, but I believe it's in the $25-$30 per day range (on top of your room rate).

It always irked me when I stayed there, but I valued having a car and being able to drive anywhere in the city that I wanted to go. It's just a matter of personal preference.

New York City, New...
reviews: 15
5. Re: Staying on Coronado - need a car?

I think that if you're not planning on leaving the island, you do not need a car. As noted by the responses above, there are plenty of ways to get around without a car. I just returned from the Hotel del and we did not have a car. We were worried that we would regret that decision but ultimately, it was the right way to go, given that we just wanted to relax on the island for a few days, and did not want to do any exploration of San Diego.

6. Re: Staying on Coronado - need a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, February 10, 2014