We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Frame Surf Shop, Surfing Lessons, Carpinteria, CA

Which Carpinteria hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carmel, California
A Frame Surf Shop, Surfing Lessons, Carpinteria, CA

I found this surf shop from a post on Trip Advisor. I wanted a surfing lesson for my daughter and we were staying in Carpinteria visiting friends. What started as a short trip turned into a longer one once we experienced this great little beach town and the personal lesson that my daughter got from Rob, at A Frame Surf Shop. Rob and his brother own this little shop right off of Santa Claus Lane. What a gem I found! Rob is just what you would hope for in an instructor - he listens, is patient, and most importantly, you can tell he loves what he does and has that special connection with the ocean and a respect for surfing and the experience it can give someone. All I can say is that we will be back. There is a summer surf camp and we already plan to spend a week here with Rob and his team.

3 replies to this topic
Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
reviews: 15
1. Re: A Frame Surf Shop, Surfing Lessons, Carpinteria, CA

Thanks for sharing - Rob is great. They are also offering stand Up Paddle now. That might be a great sport to explore on your next trip.

Carmel, California
2. Re: A Frame Surf Shop, Surfing Lessons, Carpinteria, CA

I am the daughter from the post above and I am so very happy that I got the chance to take this lesson. With Rob, I got to experience what it feels like to actually be a surfer. Rob listens and understands what I have to say. He helped me conquer my fear of surfing and I successfully accomplished 2 whole lessons (almost 3 hours for 1 lesson). He told me that he teaches from the ranges of 4 to adult which made me feel comfortable. He is an AWESOME teacher and I can't wait till we visit again! And no matter if it is your first time surfing, it is a one-on-one lesson and it was absolutely GREAT!!

State College...
reviews: 2
3. Re: A Frame Surf Shop, Surfing Lessons, Carpinteria, CA

"Familybythesea's" comments above are so true. Our surf lesson went beyond what I expected (here is how you stand up, now stand up as I push you, lesson over). We were taught more about the respect for the ocean and water safety as we had instruction on standing on a board. By the end of the lesson, we both had the ability to judge a waves approach, paddle on our own, catch a wave, and make sure we cover our head for safety if it all goes wrong! I can not say that all students will progress to the same ability after one lesson, but if you are able to challenge yourself, the instructor will make sure you have a great day.

My wife and I stopped in to A-Frame on a whim. It was just as they opened on a Friday morning and we wanted to get a last minute, same day, beginners surf lesson. Understandably there was no instructor available at such short notice. But the owner came in on his day off and took us out for a great lesson. All that you have read on review sites is true about Rob and his staff. These folks are patient with all kinds of surfers/people and treat people with kindness and respect.

I would fly back to A-Frame just for a lesson! Thanks for a great time in the water!

Reply to: A Frame Surf Shop, Surfing Lessons, Carpinteria, CA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Carpinteria
More Carpinteria Topics