We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Carmel

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Menomonee Falls, WI
reviews: 19
Things to do in Carmel

My fiancee and I will be in Carmel this July as part of our San Francsico Bay area honeymoon, and are staying at the Tickle Pink Inn. Niether of us have been to California before. I'm looking for recommendations for things to do in Carmel itself, as well as nearby areas.

I've heard that that Carmel is quite the town to walk through if you have part or all of a day... if so, what should be included in such a day trip around the city?

Also, we will probably take a drive down Highway one to Big Sur before we leave the area. Are there any recommendations for such a drive, including pull-offs or nice beach areas to walk along while on that stretch between Carmel and Big Sur?

Thanks for anyhelp you can give!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 26
1. Re: Things to do in Carmel

We stayed three nights in Carmel in October 2003. On our first day we went to the famous (deservedly so) Monterey Aquarium followed by lunch in one of the many tacky places along Cannery Row. We then drove and looked around Pacific Grove. Were going to drive 17 mile drive but the fog came down so we happily mooched around the pier in Monterey and watched and listened to the wildlife!

Then back for a stroll along the beach at Carmel followed by dinner in town.

On day two we drove down Highway One (loads of pull-offs to admire the views and what views, at time it felt like we driving above the clouds!) as far as the Julia Pfeiffer State Park where we had a picnic and a short walk to see the waterfall before heading back north to The Point Lobos State Reserve which has great trails as well as sea lions, otters and harbour seals.

We never felt rushed at any stage - one more night would have been ideal but no more.

Carmel itself felt very laid back and somewhat tony with a few too many antique shops.

Have a great time. Wish I was going with you!

Adam C

Menomonee Falls, WI
reviews: 19
2. Re: Things to do in Carmel

Thanks for sharing your experiences from a couple of years ago. It gave us some ideas of what to expect and what we might want to allot time-wise to the area. We're really looking forward to the trip in July!