We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airports

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
reviews: 2
Airports

We are planning a trip to Carmel & Sonoma....which airport would you recommend?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 114
1. Re: Airports

Well if the idea is to find one airport to fly in and out of then SFO or OAK would be about central. If you want to go one way then perhaps SFO to get to Sonoma and SJC to go back home from Carmel would be fine

It may be cheaper to just rent a car and return it in one place and if so either SFO or OAK would be fine. No plans to see SF ?

You do know that while it is not an expansive as Sonoma wine country, there are wines in Carmel and and in the Carmel Valley as well.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
2. Re: Airports

The one between SFO and SJC which gives you the best fare and most convenient schedule. It also depends on which you visit first and where you will be when you are ready to fly home.

Do you have plans to visit San Francisco?

If you got an "open jaw" flight schedule, i.e., flying into one airport and out of another, that would be ideal. SJC is about an houror so from Carmel. SFO is about an hour and a half or so from Sonoma.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
3. Re: Airports

OK, belo, you beat me by a minute. Let's call it a tie? :~)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
4. Re: Airports

A minute is 60 HUGE SECONDS and a long time. ha ha oh well ok. he he

Saint Louis...
5. Re: Airports

thanks...now I am intrigued by the wine comment. Would you really bypass Sonoma and just stay in the Carmel area? We've never been to either area. We have stayed in San Francisco before so we were trying to hit a new area. We love wine and are big foodies. My dream is to open my doors and have the ocean in sight (for at least part of the trip)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
6. Re: Airports

if you have 4-5 days and want to divide your time between the two places, Absolutely go for it. Sonoma County is huge and has various wine growing regions, and a lovely coast as well as beautiful towns of Sonoma and healdsburg. Carmel and Monterey county have wineries but not on the scale as the Wine Country up North.

If you want to coastal views and the cliffs and the amazing Big Sur and Point Lobos views, then Carmel is the place to do that from (or Monterey or Pacific Grove next door) There are more ocean views from Carmel Highlands hotels and Pacific Grove B&Bs and hotels in Monterey than from the actual Carmel hotels)

seemonterey.com/food-wine/…

I would do both if you had the time but not just rush from one spot to the other just to go wine tasting in 1-2 wineries -- that is my only point

Edited: 6:09 pm, August 20, 2013
Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
7. Re: Airports

You'll include Big Sur, right?

Saint Louis...
8. Re: Airports

I will include Big Sur now!!!! Thanks for the info. I appreciate it all. We will have 5 nights to spread between all there is to do. I know I asked on another Forum about Hotel/Inn/B&B suggestions, but am open to more! Again, looking for places with view in Carmel area, and then somewhere in Sonoma/Healdsburg area

Curious, when you say Big Sur, is that a town or park? I know, showing my midwest ignorance here :)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
9. Re: Airports

http://jrabold.net/bigsur/

It is the coastal drive from Carmel south to Cambria and can take 3 hours plus stops. Great for people going south but for others one can do the drive to Big Sur Village about one hour south without stops and go up to nepenthe and then to McWay Falls and back. It is one of the most wonderful drives in the US. Check the Big Sur Forum TOP Questions as there is a photo blog link there

Edited: 6:26 pm, August 20, 2013
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
10. Re: Airports

The term "Sonoma" means many things.....Sonoma County, which is very large and includes several wine areas as well as a lovely stretch of coast, then the Sonoma Valley, which is 20 miles long on Hwy 12 from Santa Rosa to south of the historic town of Sonoma. Healdsburg is north of this, just off Hwy 101, a major north/south highway, and it is a gateway to the Dry Creek and Alexander Valleys.

As you probably realize, there are many, many wineries in this region. I think you are going to have make priorities in order to enjoy this classic wine country as well as Carmel and the spectacular drive down the Big Sur Coast, all in 4-5 days.

Edited: 8:43 pm, August 20, 2013