We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Sanctuary Beach Resort- ideas on itinerary-3 days

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Naperville, Illinois
reviews: 40
Staying at Sanctuary Beach Resort- ideas on itinerary-3 days

From Napa, we're headed down to the area to spend Tuesday (10/1) - Thursday (10/3) (flying home out of San Jose on Friday afternoon). On Tuesday we'll probably arrive around 1:30ish - we're staying at the Sanctuary Beach Resort in Marina. After a few hours drive not sure how much we'll be up to do. Any suggestions on the first day? I was thinking walking around Carmel or maybe the Aquarium.

On Wednesday, I think driving down to Big Sur and working our way up would be good. However, I'm not familiar with distance and what's do to in Big Sur and points along the way.

Thursday?? I'm open for ideas.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

San Jose
Destination Expert
for California
reviews: 74
1. Re: Staying at Sanctuary Beach Resort- ideas on itinerary-3 days

On Tue afternoon, I'd probably hang around the hotel and enjoy the beach there - it seems like a really nice place (I haven't been there), and it would be a shame to stay there and not at least spend some time enjoying it. You could walk on the beach, relax, etc.

Then on Wednesday and Thursday I would do my sightseeing. One day you could see the aquarium in the morning and then maybe Carmel in the afternoon. And the other day you could drive down into Big Sur. For information about Big Sur, just do a quick search on this board - there are a lot of posts with great advice.

reviews: 717
2. Re: Staying at Sanctuary Beach Resort- ideas on itinerary-3 days

Walking around Carmel is very enjoyable. There are lots of beautiful art galleries to stroll through, great restaurants and a beautiful beach. PortaBella, Little Napoli, Grasing's and Terry's Lounge @ The Cypress Inn are all very good places for a meal in Carmel. There is also a very interesting mission there. www.carmelcalifornia.com is a nice website for this area. :)

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 25
3. Re: Staying at Sanctuary Beach Resort- ideas on itinerary-3 days

If you enjoy seeing wildlife up close (otters, seals, etc.) Elkhorn Slough is a great place to visit. It's about 15-20 minutes north of Marina in Moss Landing. There are two ways to go out on the Slough: rent kayaks from Monterey Bay Kayaks (they have guided tours if you're beginners) or take a pontoon boat tour of the Slough on Elkhorn Slough Safari (www.elkhornslough.com). I've taken the boat trip numerous times. It tales about an hour and a half, and you can get some amazing views (and photos!) of the animals. It's also very relaxing. You have to reserve in advance.

4. Re: Staying at Sanctuary Beach Resort- ideas on itinerary-3 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, September 09, 2014