We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Carmel and Point Lobos

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Frisco, CO
reviews: 7
One day in Carmel and Point Lobos

We have one day to visit Carmel, Saturday September 7th, while staying in Pacific Grove for the weekend. I am thinking we should visit Point Lobos State Reserve in the morning since likely thats our only day to get that in - then spend the afternoon wandering Carmel shops, galleries plus a late lunch. Would appreciate suggestions for lunch in Camel, doesn't have to be very fancy but good food and hopefully outdoor seating. Even just creative salads and sandwiches. I consider crusty bread and fresh ingredients a great lunch, but would considering other options like mediterranean menus. Not real fans of mexican restaurants. Our drive back to PG would be 17 Mile Drive. Also, would appreciate suggestions on parking in Carmel on that Saturday to do our wandering for shops, galleries and lunch - we don't mind walking. Thanks for any feedback on this day's plan.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
reviews: 74
1. Re: One day in Carmel and Point Lobos

In Carmel I would suggest either Grasing’s or Casanova. Both have patio areas for dining and serve both lunch and dinner. You can take a look at their lunch menus: www.grasings.com/menu_lunch.htm and casanovarestaurant.com/restaurant/menus/Samp…

Monterey Peninsula...
2. Re: One day in Carmel and Point Lobos

Your plan sounds like a good one.

Carmel has a huge selection of restaurants, and they're all good (depending on your tastes, of course). There are several on every block. As you wander about town you'll probably find many you'd like to try. The problem, therefore, won't be finding a good restaurant, but rather deciding which ones to pass by.

As for parking in Carmel, most of the on-street parking has a time limit of 2 hours along with a smaller number of 30 minute or shorter spaces. On street parking is not metered, but parking enforcement officers are extremely diligent and monitor how long you have parked very closely. Park too long and you WILL get a ticket. Here's the details …carmel.ca.us/carmel/…

There is a free parking lot with unlimited time at the extreme NE corner of the business district at Junipero and 3rd, but it's at the top of a hill 4 blocks from Ocean Avenue, a fairly substantial climb.

There is a more conveniently located paid lot at the north end of Sunset Center. The entrance is on 7th between Mission and San Carlos, one block south of Ocean Avenue. There is a fee, but it's convenient and you can park as long as you want. Before you commit to that, though, you might get lucky and find a free unlimited time spot a bit farther south on Mission or other adjacent streets.

And just FYI to help make navigation easier, numbered streets run east-west, and named streets run north-south. Ocean Avenue is the exception, it runs east-west between 6th and 7th. Call it 6th-and-a-half street.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Edited: 6:30 pm, August 19, 2013
Monterey Peninsula...
3. Re: One day in Carmel and Point Lobos

Oops, my brain went mushy. The Sunset Center lot is on 8th, not 7th.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info

Dublin, California
reviews: 32
4. Re: One day in Carmel and Point Lobos

Our go-to lunch spot in Carmel is Anton e Michel.

Frisco, CO
5. Re: One day in Carmel and Point Lobos

Thanks all for the recommendations. Mr. Toy, the parking info will be particularly useful, thank you!

reviews: 789
6. Re: One day in Carmel and Point Lobos

makt, how was your time in Carmel? Where did you end up having lunch? :)

Frisco, CO
7. Re: One day in Carmel and Point Lobos

We had a great day: spent the morning walking the trails at Point Lobos Reserve, had lunch at the Village Corner Bistro which I would definitely recommend if you want a casual, hearty lunch. We sat outside - with heaters and then a retractable roof, it was quite comfortable. Drove through Pebble beach back to PG. Weather could have been better- it was cool and foggy, really limited visibility which was the same situation for our drive down the coast to Cambria, where we are still. We've finally started to see the sun.

P.S we did end up paying for parking in Carmel, mostly cause we weren't sure if the free 2 hour street parking was going to be enough time. As it turns out, 2 hours would have been just right for lunch and browsing.

reviews: 789
8. Re: One day in Carmel and Point Lobos

Sounds very nice! :)

Riverside...
reviews: 2
9. Re: One day in Carmel and Point Lobos

recommend Carmel highlands inn, just down the street from Point Lobos, outdoor seating, ocean view, great food. ask for Tony!

Frisco, CO
10. Re: One day in Carmel and Point Lobos

It's probably lovely, and we considered The Market, because the the website shows amazing views, but trust me, there were little to no ocean views to be had. Plus I wanted to walk around Carmel. It worked for us. Wished we had more time- maybe when we're retired.