We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Point Lobos & 17 mile road

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Point Lobos & 17 mile road

Hi,

My wife and i will take a 2.5 days trip from LA to SF, We Plan to visit Point Lobos.

I was wandering, if we are not hikers but we like nature, how many hours should we reserve for this Great Park?

Dublin, California
reviews: 29
1. Re: Point Lobos & 17 mile road

I'd say half a day, longer if you want to bring a picnic.

San Francisco...
reviews: 109
2. Re: Point Lobos & 17 mile road

There are 3 main areas that you can drive to. If you are interested also in history, the whalers cove has a museum that is interesting. If you like exploring the rocky coast, then definitely plan on staying 1/2 day.

Santa Clara...
reviews: 17
3. Re: Point Lobos & 17 mile road

I would skip 17 Mile Drive. Better scenery at Point Lobos. Support the state park and not a private road.

A few hrs is good for visit. You don't have to walk very far to see great views. Check out Whaler Cove, then walk up the trail past the bathrooms. You can also drive to the other areas and view the birds and sea lions.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Borrego Springs, San Francisco, Solana Beach
reviews: 26
4. Re: Point Lobos & 17 mile road

Just to clarify based on the title of your post: Point Lobos and 17 Mile Drive are not the same thing, they aren't all that near each other and they both have an entry fee.

Point Lobos, in my opinion (and I'm not alone) is much more worth while than 17 Mile Drive. It has great trails, scenery and possible some marine mammal sightings. While 17 Mile Drive is an attempt to look at large homes through their hedges. Yes, it has an icon view of the Lone Cypress but after that ~meh~.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 25
5. Re: Point Lobos & 17 mile road

I highly recommend Cypress Grove Trail at Point Lobos. It's beautiful!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
reviews: 6
6. Re: Point Lobos & 17 mile road

Don'ytmiss Point Lobos. It has been called the 'greatest meet between land and sea", or something like that. DO miss the 17 Mile Drive.

Edited: 12:31 am, April 20, 2013
New York City, New...
reviews: 7
7. Re: Point Lobos & 17 mile road

17 mile drive is a waste of time. Spend that time at Point Lobos.

You need only an hour or two at Point Lobos but it is just the beginning of the drive thru Big Sur.

Edited: 2:39 am, April 20, 2013
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
reviews: 4
8. Re: Point Lobos & 17 mile road

It's not a huge park. I'm thinking 3-4 hours.

I've been able to park on Highway 1, about a quarter mile from the entrance, to avoid paying the entrance fee. (Although I bought a map at the ranger station so I wouldn't feel so guilty.)

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 53
9. Re: Point Lobos & 17 mile road

Puter....... the beauty of Point Lobos inspired landscape artist Francis McComas to call it "the greatest meeting of land and sea in the world."

You are right....take a pass on the 17 Mile Drive and spend a half a day at Point Lobos.

Monterey Peninsula...
10. Re: Point Lobos & 17 mile road

Point Lobos is ideal if you like nature but aren't much into hiking. As parks go, it is fairly compact, and easily walkable. The only trails with significant climbing are the Whalers Knoll trail and the long stairway down to China Cove. The rest aren't exactly flat, but the inclines are modest and short.

My favorite trails are the North Shore and Cypress Grove trails. The south shore is less dramatic. There are also some less-traveled inland trails which don't get much attention. They're very peaceful, and great for bird watching. There are enough trails to occupy much of a day, but the highlights can be covered in a couple hours. So how much time you spend is entirely up to you.

-Mr. Toy

www.montereypeninsula.info