We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family of three (one 2 year old) for 4 nights in July

Which Carmel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 3
Family of three (one 2 year old) for 4 nights in July

Hi - my husband, son and I would love to come to Carmel (from Australia) for 4 nights in July 2013. We would prefer accommodation which has kitchen facilities (kitchenette fine) and at least 1 separate bedroom. We are having difficulty finding somewhere available for 4 nights (seems most cottages have a minimum of 6 or 29 nights). Are there any recommendations/suggestions? Thanks

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey Peninsula
reviews: 25
1. Re: Family of three (one 2 year old) for 4 nights in July

July 13-27 is the Carmel Bach Festival, but I don't know how much that affects accommodations there. In Pacific Grove, which is a lovely, quiet town just minutes from Carmel, take a look at Andril Fireplace Cottages and Bide-a-Wee Cottages. You also could look for a small house to rent in Pacific Grove. In the summer, they may require a week's rental, but some places have a three-night minimum. The best place to search is www. vrbo.com, and Pacific Grove is the best town to check since there are more rentals here than in Carmel. If you find something that you like, I'll be glad to tell you more about the location of the house.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
2. Re: Family of three (one 2 year old) for 4 nights in July

Carmel has restrictions on vacation rentals....so you will have to look at Monterey or Pacific Grove. It will be a real challenge to find a 4 day vacation rental in July. Perhaps a hotel / motel with a kitchenette.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
3. Re: Family of three (one 2 year old) for 4 nights in July

Please don't let the previous comment keep you from looking for a house rental in Pacific Grove. Would it be easier to find in one January than in July? Sure/ But there are homes that people will rent for a minimum of three nights all year, except for Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July, etc. Also, they will sometimes not insist that people rent from Sat to Sat, and, as a result, they may have a shorter period to fill between renters, and they would probably rather fill that time than not. It varies from owner to owner and is well worth checking.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 41
4. Re: Family of three (one 2 year old) for 4 nights in July

Hey PGdenizen....I didn't say not to look...I just said that it would be a challenge. :-) I love PG and would shout my recommendations to stay there from a rooftop!

Its just such an attractive destination and at this relatively late juncture for a July rental, there will likely be pretty slim pickings for a 4 day (as opposed to a 7 day) rental that also fits their other requirements.. I absolutely hope that they find something!

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: Family of three (one 2 year old) for 4 nights in July

Thank you very much for you help - I will look now

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
6. Re: Family of three (one 2 year old) for 4 nights in July

I understand, datthecoast. I just wanted to make sure that Neens didn't get discouraged before even looking. I know how much you love PG! :-)

Brisbane, Australia
7. Re: Family of three (one 2 year old) for 4 nights in July

Well I have found a few places at Carmel by the sea, and several places at pacific grove. The short list choices we are looking at are either horizon inn/lodge (1 bedroom cottage with kitchen near 3rd), "Marley cottage" (2 bedroom cottage very close to beach at 7th - vrbo #286840) or Victorian cottage on pacific avenue, pacific grove (2 bedroom - vrbo #451672).

Rates (all inclusive) are cheapest for horizon inn ($1086), then pacific grove ($1250 but includes aquarium passes) and Marley is $1450.

Our main concern with horizon inn is that it is a pet friendly lodge, and we are not really dog people.

If anyone has any advice, recommendations or experiences, it is most appreciated.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Family of three (one 2 year old) for 4 nights in July

I can't comment with much knowledge on the Carmel lodging as I'm just not familiar enough with the locations. From the Marley Cottage description, it sounds as though it's close to downtown, which is an advantage if you want to walk to restaurants and shopping. It's says close to the beach, but if it really is near Carmel Plaza, as it says, then it's a walk to the beach--say 8 to 10 blocks, including a downhill portion--which means a climb on the way back toward town. You might want to find out from the owner exactly where it is in relation to the beach and Ocean Ave.

The location of the Pacific Grove house is good. You can walk to the water, to town for restaurants and shopping (including Grove Market, a small, full-service grocery store), Caledonia Park, which has a perfect playground for a two-year-old, and Lover's Point Beach, a small, protected beach with relatively calm waters. It's not the beautiful Carmel Beach, but it's a great place to build a sand castle. You also are close to the recreation trail that runs along the water, where you can take nice walks and, if you like walking, can walk all the way to the aquarium and Cannery Row (about a 25-minute walk from the house). Pacific Grove is a quaint, quiet town, but there are plenty of good restaurants, and it has a nice "hometown" feel.

Hope this helps. If I sound biased toward Pacific Grove, I probably am a bit, but having lived in PG for 27 years, I just know it better than I do Carmel.

Carmel, California
reviews: 11
9. Re: Family of three (one 2 year old) for 4 nights in July

Just so you are aware, less than 30 day rentals aren't legally allowed within the city limits of Carmel. There are vacation rentals outside of city limits but from their description of being steps away from Carmel Plaza, it doesn't sound like they are. I know the city has been cracking down on this.

10. Re: Family of three (one 2 year old) for 4 nights in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 11, 2014